dchristiansen Guest

Default Best Mattress Choice

I searched for information on this topic, but didn't come up with any specifics regarding mattresses.

Here's my dilemna:

My 15 month old is still sleeping in his crib just fine. My wife and I are expecting our second child next year, and we anticipate that our son will be transitioning into a "real" bed when his brother or sister is ready for the crib.

Meanwhile, I have family coming to visit for Christmas and need to buy a twin bed to accommodate someone. I have no real use for a twin bed right now, but, since my son will likely need a bed in '06, I figured that I'd buy something that he can use next year.

So, my question is, what mattress set(s) should I investigate? Or am I trying to do too much here? I hate to buy a twin mattress that's never going to get used again. What are my options? And before anyone suggests that the family member gets to sleep on the couch, we're talking about my grandmother, so that's not an option. I need a bed. My mom and her S.O. will be taking the queen bed in our guest room. My thought was to put my grandmother on the twin bed in the room that will eventually become my son's next year, once his brother/sister occupies the nursery where my son currently sleeps.

Sorry for all the information, but I'm just trying to figure out my options and what mattress would be best.

Thanks in advance.

christie699 Guest

Default RE: Best Mattress Choice

You're smart to buy for the future - your son will need a twin within the next year.

We moved our son to a race car bed at 24 months when our daughter arrived. The bed was able to accommodate a crib mattress, so that's what we used first, just to get him used to the new bed. He is now 34 months and we JUST switched to the twin sized mattress. The deciding factor was whether or not he still moves all over the place on the mattress - he now is staying in somewhat one position, at least with his head facing the headboard most of the time.

We chose a Simmons Beautyrest. It's my personal favorite and I only buy those, but others will have their own opinion. I recommend you pay a little more for a brand name such as Simmons, rather than a no-name at Costco or something like that. Theoretically your child will be sleeping on it every night for the next 10 - 15 years, so it's worth the investment!

This post is probably too late for your Christmas purchase - I hope you were able to accommodate your grandmother!

dchristiansen Guest

Default RE: Best Mattress Choice

Thanks for the input. As it turned out, my grandmother slept on the queen bed in our guestroom while my mom & her S.O. slept on a spare couch and an air mattress, respectively. It wasn't ideal, but at least I wasn't forced to buy something I really don't need right now. I have time to do more research, and it sounds like my son won't need a twin mattress for at least another year anyway, so maybe this will be a Christmas 2006 issue!

Thanks again and happy new year!