jacknmack Guest

Default Advice re transition to big kid beds

Our twins are 3 years and 7 months. We just ordered their "big kid" beds and they will arrive next month. I'm searching for advice on how to ease this transition. They are not that great with change, so on the one hand I'm thinking I should leave the cribs set up (they have seperate rooms) so if they freak out at the big kid bed they will have somewhere to sleep. On the other hand their rooms are small and this will mean a room jam packed with furniture, and maybe give them too easy of an "out" that will encourage defiance. Also, in terms of mattress -- should I get one that most closely resembles the crib mnattress (ie firm) or one that I would choose for myself (like a pillow top)? Any advice on on-line mattress buying? Also, they have been great sleepers (go to bed at 7:15, play quietly in crib until they fall asleep -usually within 10 minutes) and I'm terrified they will now be jumping out of bed a million times per night. Any hints on how to make this all work would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default RE: Advice re transition to big kid beds

For transition, talk up coolness factor, let them pick out sheets, etc. We got a few books. Our fave was Billy's Big Boy Bed:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...268735?ie=UTF8

As far as firmness, you don't need to worry about getting
    firm like a crib mattress, but a pillow top might be a bit
    much. I'd say something in between. It doesn't have to
    be as supportive as one for you since there's not as much
    to support! I'd rec. keeping the cribs for now. IMO, it will
    ease the transition. You may want to put the beds where
    the cribs are now, so the beds are in a familiar place,
    but the cribs are still there for security. The room
    make look crowded, but it's temporary. Good luck,
    it may be easier than you think!
    Lisa
    DS-9/13/02
    DD-12/16/05

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hi-

The coolness factor is probably what might sell it to them, and letting them help pick out stuff too. Our DS stopped sleeping in his crib a long time ago, so he was sleeping(well, still does sometimes)with us. So eventually we found a bed that we could use his old mattress in, of course DH loved it because it was as stiff as a board, but DS didn't like it so much, so we got a nice squishy pad to put over the mattress and when we can get him in it, he sleeps really well. :)

If they like the mattresses they sleep on now, I wouldn't change it.
    I would probably take down the cribs, but I wouldn't make them disappear, I would let the boys know it was happening, and explain that it was a big day for them to have new big boy beds...something like that?

good luck!

edited for typo

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

My DD is younger then yours and when she was 6 months, I went back to work and put her in bed with me, so she was hardly ever in her crib. But, we actually transitioned my DD tonight or should I say by the time she fell asleep it was early morning.
    This is what we did - While DD and I were out, DH took apart the crib and made it into a toddler bed. When we got home, we made a big deal that "Daddy bought her a big girl's bed." We then put new Princess sheets and a new Princess comforter on the bed. I think she was really excited since she loves the Princesses.
    Maybe picking out their fav characters for their bed may help. Also, I would suggest, when the bed arrives, having it and new accessories set up beforehand and early in the day so your little ones can get comfortable with it. Maybe have them put their fav animals that they sleep with in it, etc.
    Good Luck!
    Stacey
    Mom to Alexa 10/25/04