Thread: Twin mattress

Default Twin mattress

So we bit the bullet and ordered our Flexa furniture today. We decided not to get their mattress, but instead to buy a standard twin mattress from somewhere else.

Any recommendations on what to look for in a twin mattress?? I hear costco has good deals. How firm should the mattress be? I'm guessing pillow top is not necessary for a small child but what other features should I be considering? What is a fair price for a good twin mattress that will last?

Thanks.

Amanda, mom to Luke (2 1/2) and Baby 2, due May 2, 2007

ckleist Guest

Default RE: Twin mattress

just bought a twin today

my requirements were:

firm

no pillow or euro top

foam encased sides that add extra support for sitting on sides of bed and that increases the sleep surface (not by much, it's only 10%, but it is more for durability than anything else, don't want to get the dips in the sides where we sit frequently)

hoping this will be the mattress he keeps until he moves out or becomes too tall to fit in a standard twin bed

low profile box springs (5" instead of standard 9") so the bed doesn't sit so high off the floor (the box springs would sit 12" off the floor because the bed can accomodate a trundle bed beneath it, you could also get a bunky board which is about 2" if you have height concerns)

We looked at Cosco, our store had the Sealy Whitby for $299, but it had the standard box springs and I didn't like that I couldn't sit on it and try it out. So I got a Sealy Thayer on sale at Macy's for $390 and had about $70 in gift cards so in the end the price wasn't that much more than Cosco's for us out of our own pocket. BTW, the mattress sale ended today on the one I got.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Twin mattress

we got our twin mattress from Costco when DS #1 got his big boy bed. We didn't need a boxspring so I believe it was $99 for a nice firm Sealy mattress. It's a few years old now and it is like new. still firm, supportive and comfy(I should know I fall asleep in that bed often)!

We got our in the wherehouse not delivered so it was cheaper than the prices you often see on the site! I'd call your local Costco and see what they have now in the wherehouse.... I know I saw mattresses the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05