atlbaby Guest

Default Are there onesies for toddlers/what do toddlers wear as undershirts?

[I cross posted this on the BB site, please forgive the duplicate posting]

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Arielle's fall/winter wardrobe lately and am trying to have things set up, since I expect that I'll be a bit busy around that time with the new baby. I'm wondering what people put their (soon to be) 2 year olds in for onesies when the weather gets cold, particularly under-pjs. And I also used the onesies under shirts that didn't have crotch snaps on very cold days, for an extra layer.
    I've always used Carters onesies, and last year I had her in size 9-12 until around February and then 12-18 months (hard to find!) until it got warm. I found they ran big, so she would probably be able to wear the 18-24 month size until the end of the year I'd think. But what about after that size, do they come in 2T? I was only able to find the 12-18 and 18-24 month size at the outlets, though I've been told KRU has them too, but silly me never looked to see what they had for toddlers.

What do other people do in the fall/winter?
    Thanks,

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2EDD 10/24/03-Another Girl!:)

brubeck Guest

Default RE: Are there onesies for toddlers/what do toddlers wear as undershirts?

Rachel other stores do carry onesies in 2T to 4T and sometimes larger. I've had the best luck finding these at Gymboree and The Children's Place although Land's End sometimes has them too.

I'm a big believer in blanket sleepers. Although it is not as cold where I am, I do use them in the winter and on colder nights Amy will wear a t-shirt and sometimes leggings underneath. Of course she also sleeps under the covers so she gets extra warmth from that too!

Arielle is old enough to use a proper blanket so you could also go that route.

atlbaby Guest

Default RE: Are there onesies for toddlers/what do toddlers wear as undershirts?

I thought of TCP or LE (hadn't thought of Gymboree) but I really didn't want to waste money on "nice" (outfit) onesies when it was just for sleeping. Plus these nicer ones would be a bit heavier in weight than the Carters ones that are really meant to be an undershirt. I usually put Arielle in Carters or KRU pjs--the flannel footed ones--so maybe if I don't find onesies that are light enough I can just hope she'll use a blanket. I didn't like the idea of having the zipper of the pjs right next to her skin, but I can get over it.:) As for the blankets, she has a few, but she doesn't really see their purpose yet...

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2EDD 10/24/03-Another Girl!:)

brubeck Guest

I got over having the zipper next to Amy's skin about the time she started zipping them up by herself! :-)

To get Arielle interested in blankets, you need to snuggle with her under blankets (in your bed, on the couch, etc.). We did that and Amy quickly started to associate them with comfort and good feelings, which is I think why she liked them for sleeping so much. We didn't pressure her at all, just made sure that blankets and pillows were available if she wanted to use them.

As for 'nice' onesies, often I will just leave on the onesie/shirt she wore during the day and pop it into the laundry the next morning. Then you don't need a special set just for sleeping!

elf Guest

Sears' TKS house line has larger onesies, soft and inexpensive.

I usually just put her in regular soft clothes. A T-shirt or onesie, and if it's cool out, simple knit pants or sweatpants.

colleenfs is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just discovered that both Carter's and Gerber make crotch snap onesies in larger sizes. Also, I saw the KRU/BRU brand Miniwear makes onesies in sizes up to 4T.

Colleen
    Mama to Julia 1-10-02

We had really good luck with the JC Penneys brand of undershirts. They're a very soft cotton and quite inexpensive, hold up well in the wash.