Default What to Wear at Night during Winter in a Crib

What does everyone put on their toddlers (still sleeping in a crib) at night when it gets cold? It has only really started to get cold here & we've put the heat up higher at night than we did before having our son, because we're worried about him getting cold.

So far, we've used a summer long pants PJ set under a sleeper with feet. When it gets colder, I have a couple blanket sleepers for him. It's so hard for me to know how many layers he needs! I worry about him being too hot or too cold. We're under a bunch of covers, so it's hard to compare.

Does anyone use a blanket with a 19 mo? And if so, do you tuck it in? Our son wiggles all over at night.

Thanks!!!

Default RE: What to Wear at Night during Winter in a Crib

We set the thermostat to 70 degrees and our 15-mo-old wears an undershirt and socks under a fleece sleeper with feet. I put my hand on her bare belly to see if she feels warm enough. We started using a blanket with our older daughter when she was 2 and sleeping in a toddler bed.

I don't know where you live (as far as climate), but we're in the Midwest, and it's been quite cold here already. I've found that on the nights we put our DD in a blanket sleeper (cheapies from Target and Kmart), she sleeps through the night no problem. On the nights where we used a lighter pajama (cotton sleeper with feet- Children's Place and Gap), she woke up and required extra cuddling. If your DS is sleeping through, then I would assume he's warm enough (and not too warm). Generally, I feel like they let us know when they're uncomfortable.
    We do have a blanket in the crib, but she won't keep it on.
    We have our thermostat set for 70 degrees, but it's usually a couple degrees colder in her room. I would set it much cooler if we could (I'm pregnant and usually roasting), but I think 70 is pretty comfortable for her.

Erin

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're in Chicago, and it's now full-on winter. Our 14-month old son sleeps with a blanket in his crib that he often kicks off. I'm still putting him in Gap jammies with socks and an undershirt, and he's pretty comfy in that, as he's a little furnace. But the temperature is set at 70, so if he ends up without his blanket, he's ok. As we dip into the 10s and lower, tho, I'll be putting him back in Children's Place blanket sleepers, which are very reasonably priced. They're often $7 or $8.50 a piece when you buy three at a time or more, very well made, still have skids, and wash veyr well. Good luck!

mcpinroc Guest

We live in an area that doesn't get that cold by most people's standards, but the homes are cinderblock without central heat. So, for example, it has been 61 degrees in the house the past couple of nights...pretty chilly.

We put dd in a sleeper (fleece on colder nights, cotton on not quite as cold nights) and then in a baby sleep sack from www.babyinabag.com They have two models: winter and summer and we are using the winter one.

She seems quite comfortable in it - not sweating, but her body is warm when we check her late at night.

Margaret

Dana631 Guest

Hi,

we are in the East and it's about 66 degrees in my daughter's room at night. She wakes up in the early morning if she is cold...so:
    We use a heavy-weight footed pajamas and on top of it, the winter sleeping sack from The Baby in a Bag. It works great!

Dana