Thread: Winter clothing

sn523 Guest

Default Winter clothing

I have read that you are not to use a winter coat or other bulky clothing with the convertible car seat. That said, how do you keep your toddler warm both in the car and outside?

I am thinking of getting the LL Bean trail model fleece coveralls. Do I also need a winter coat? What a footmuff for the stroller e.g. the JJ Cole Toddler Bundle Me?

Thank you

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Winter clothing

We just brave the cold (usually we are parked in our attached garage at home so not a big deal) and hustle out to the car. Coats get put on when we get to our destination. The car warms up very quickly and I can use a blanket on him if it's really cold.

Unless you live somewhere bitterly cold that LLBean outfit will work well. You may pick up a less expensive coat at Old Navy or Target just in case.

By the time ds was walking we rarely used the stroller so no real thoughts there. A very active toddler probably wouldn't love being tucked in, even if just at the feet, though. Good idea though and it could work very well for your child.

Beth

Melonious Guest

Default RE: Winter clothing

Two years ago, I was asking myself this same question! Because I couldn't find anything that would keep my son warm in his car seat AND be safe to use with his 5-point harness, I ended up having to design something myself.

You're right; if you read the fine print in any car manual, they say children should not wear thick coats when riding in car seats. If there were a crash, the coat would flatten into a thin layer, and the child could slip out of the harness and be thrown out of the car seat. It's pretty scary to think of it!

Keep searching. I know there is a product out there...