trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Training pants or underwear or pull ups?

Everyone keeps suggesting underwear instead of pull ups. I'm not sure he's ready to make a complete switch, but has started making an effort the last couple of days to let us know he needs to potty before he goes. (Except he still poops in his diaper exclusively.)

Do you think training pants might help him make the transition the rest of the way? And has anyone had any experience with how that would work with daycare?

We're so close to having only one in diapers! I can't wait!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

Default RE: Training pants or underwear or pull ups?

Daycare may only want pullups since they contain messes, but they're a detriment to potty training in my experience! If you spend a few days with him, he could be ready for daycare in underwear after a long weekend or so. :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

brubeck Guest

We used all 3. We made the transition from diapers to Easy-Ups and then from Easy-Ups to Gerber cotton trainers (which we called underwear). Amy was actually potty-trained for a couple of months before we gave her real underwear. This was not so much from a leakage viewpoint but more because she had trouble getting the underwear up and down and would pee while still trying to take it off.

Just move from one to the next. Certainly cotton trainers are a good intermediate step. You can still use Pull-Ups when out or at night.

luvbeinmama Guest

ITA with Helen. Certainly use them while they seem useful. But be aware that the kids think of them as diapers, not underwear. They are good for beginning awareness training, outings and nighttime, but when you are going whole-hog on the training, real cotton underwear (the gerber trainers) seem to work the best.

raynjen Guest

Our daughter treats Pull-Ups as diapers (she wears them at night) and even calls them diapers. We didn't use training pants at all - when she 'got it' there was no need (we still have a few near misses, but trainers don't stop that) before she 'got it' we had tried trainers and she basically peed right through them.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

brubeck Guest

Actually that was the point of trainers with my DD. She peed right through them and it freaked her out because it had never happened to her before. She was a reluctant pottier so she needed that kind of physical re-inforcement to remind her what happens if you don't get to the potty in time.

After awhile she got used to peeing through the cotton trainers so I put her in leggings. When she wet she wet ALL down the legs, so her legs were wet and clammy. Not nice and she noticed accidents immediately. This is really what the trainers are for: to help the child notice accidents immediately so they can be more vigilant next time.

raynjen Guest

I guess that never occured to me as it never bothered Noelle - I'm always surprised at what she will tolerate and what she won't (like she can be wet, but can't have dirt on her legs - go figure)

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

brubeck Guest

Every child is different! You're right some kids just don't mind being wet at all (my DD was one of them for awhile until I did the leggings trick) and others hate it. My friend's DD HATES being even the tinest bit wet so she potty trained in about 2 weeks with minimal effort from the Mom. However this girl will FREAK OUT and throw a huge tantrum if she even gets one drop of water on her shirt. So there are positives and negatives.... :-)

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Update

I talked to daycare, and they are fine with training pants. In fact, they were very eager for us to start him in them. They think he's ready to finish training and that the diapers are holding him back! EEK. So I bought the training pants and found myself crying the whole way home! He's not going to be a baby anymore! I'm not sure I'm ready to let him go! (Is this crazy or what?!)

Anyway, his sleep was really off the last half of the week, so I didn't start him in the training pants yet. Eleanor starts at his daycare on Monday, so I'm not sure if that's a good time either. Does this make sense, or am I just making excuses?

What is wrong with me that I'm suddenly balking at having a child out of diapers?! Just typing this has made me start crying all over again. I just can't get over how fast he's growing up.

I'm a mess.

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

brubeck Guest

Default RE: Update

Jeannhe I can understand your feelings but trust me on this: when you don't have to change his diapers anymore you will feel SO happy and liberated! Honestly. It'll be a GOOD thing. :)