genlisaann Guest

Default How long do you leave kids on the potty?

My DS just peed on the potty (Baby Bjorn that fits on the regular toilet) twice in the last three days...yay! I'm wondering though, how long can you let them sit while they're "waiting for the pee" as my son puts it? I've been letting him sit for 10 minutes max, but should I just let him sit as long as it takes? Any advice is appreciated!

TIA, Lisa =)

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How long do you leave kids on the potty?

I just let my DD sit for 3-4 minutes max. If no go, then I say we will try later. They either have to go or not.
    Michele

mamahill Guest

If Ainsleigh doesn't go right away, most likely she isn't going to go. This was the case even in the beginning. No more than a minute. Sometimes she likes to just sit there and read, but I don't make her sit until she produces. Afterall, she doesn't see me sitting there if I don't have to go ;).

brubeck Guest

I let my DD sit there as long as she wanted. There were times she would watch an entire Sesame Street while sitting naked on the potty because SHE WANTED to. I think the key here is that if they want to sit on it let them, but don't force them to sit there.

P.S. Sarah it's nice to see you back! I've missed your posts! And where is Joanne?

genlisaann Guest

Thank you everyone! Now it seems like a moot point, since Riley doesn't want to use the potty anymore...guess I just keep trying. Thanks again =)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The first couple of days with Ds it would take 3 or 4 trips to the potty (with him initiating it) before he would go. I would wait 10-15 minutes, which really didn't matter, 5 probably would have been enough. He was fine there, I was bored. So I would ask, "can we try again later?" and he agreed. Sometimes it was 5 or 10 minutes later, sometimes 30 seconds or a minute. I think, for him, it was learning how to go from 'holding it' to letting it go.

He was used to sitting on the potty for a while though, b/c he had been pooping on it for months. We would read his potty books to keep him "focused on the task at hand." LOL.

ETA, I agree with Sarah, that if he didn't go right away, he wasn't going to, but I didn't know that.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif