I'm not sure where to begin. DS has had a potty (the Graco one) for a few months now. He used to sit on it clothed or in just his diaper while we were in the bathroom with him. We then started to encourage him to sit on it naked from the waist down and have actually gotten him to poop in the potty twice (both times with much celebration). Since we have a speech delay, I taught him the sign for potty -- and he knows it, and uses it. However, now that he can communicate to us that he wants to use the potty, he will not sit on it naked and if he does, it is only long enough to actually touch the seat and then hop back up. The past few nights, he has been telling us (with his version of "potty") and using the sign for potty and subsequently taking his pants and diaper off on his way into the bathroom. However, he WILL NOT sit on the toilet long enough to even think about producing. He will touch his buns to the seat, stand back up, take the seat off, put the lid down, lift it back up, sit on the potty without the seat, stand up, put the seat on the big toilet, etc, etc, you get the idea.

He has never actually peed on the potty, only pooped twice (once just enough to say there actually was poop and I had to hold him down on the seat to get him to stay there). Once he has gone through his routine, he tries to pull his pants up with no diaper and gets mad when I insist that he put the diaper on and gives the sign for potty. Last night I decided to try him and let him put his pants back on with no diaper thinking he would not go. Well, he did and really didn't care that his pants were wet.

Sorry this is long, but do you have any ideas how to get him to actually sit on and use the potty once he tells me he needs to? I don't want to turn this into a battle to prolong the process since he is showing signs of wanting to start training.

TIA

Emily