Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eczema question

Default Eczema question

Not sure if this is the right category...But my dd and twin ds all have eczema. I was using Elidel which works fantastically. The FDA just came out with a warning that it has caused cancer in lab animals. So not only am I worried about what they have been exposed to, but their eczema is running rampant. Does anyone have any lotions or potions that they know of to relieve it?
    Thanks in advance.

Default RE: Eczema question

Do a search over in the BB Lounge - I've seen lots of posts related to this. I have eczema so they always stand out for me. I do know, for me, moisture, moisture, moisture - I keep Eucerin moisturizing creme by my bed and mix this with hydrocortizone to keep my intense steriod use as low as possible...
    Alaina
    Alex 2-4-03

luvtobeamom Guest

We use Protopic - this is another non steroid ointment and Aquaphor morning and night. We also use Cetaphil soap for bathing and All Free and Clear for detergent. Good luck.

We're just trying out Moon Valley Eczema Body Heal salve. We got it on Sunday and the little angry red patch behind DD's knee is getting more faint. Usually it flares when she eats something she's allergic to and the redness gradually goes away on its own so I don't know if it's the salve that's working or not.

We also massage it all over her body since she has dry eczema patches all over her torso but I haven't seen any visible results yet just in this week. We've been applying it 2x a day and more often on the back of her knee, with every diaper change.

I almost cried when I heard about Elidel on the news - it did work marvelously and FAST!

luvtobeamom Guest

I guess Protopic is also one of the drugs with the new FDA warning. I was not aware.

Drews Mom Guest

Our dermatologist told us to only use fragrance-free products on our son. It is difficult to find shampoo, etc, but we have been lucky to find all products through our Whole Foods.

This seems to help, but we also pile on the Aquaphor. Anything to avoid the prescription salves, which unfortunately we do need to use behind the knees sometimes.

Elilly is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used to use the elidel 2x/day. now just once/day and we slather on the Eucerin "calming cream". FWIW, our ped, GI, and allergist said that the risk of cancer is very low unless your kids have an immune disorder. HTH.
    DD 02
    DS 04

garlicsalt Guest

I could write and write and write about this, but I don't have much time right now.
    Eczema is such a big topic to cover, because there are so many facets to this. My son has had eczema since he was an infant. We tried ALL KINDS OF PRESCRIPTIONS, and ultimately ended up with Elidel, presribed by a family member when he was 10 months old, because his pedi wouldn't give it to him.
    We recently threw out all of his scripts and have tackled this with natural remedies. I started by buying every book on eczema I could find on amazon, most of which are discontinued, and you have to purchase used.
    The key is to eliminate the cause. This takes of LOT OF WORK and is emtionally draining, at least it was for me, because Parker's eczema was severe. He was nursing until 18 months, and I always ignored the fact that he might be sensitive to dairy. Well, at the time he gave up BF, we also stopped feeding him dairy. This has reduced flareups. Through nursing, I also found that he was sensitive to tree nuts. Back to dairy...he drinks and eats soy products, but I guess that soy isn't good anyway...you're supposed to drink goats milk.
    I suggest reading all that you can.
    What has helped for us: Vitamin E oil, avoiding parabens, mixing in a little fish oil with his food, and avoiding dairy.
    Read books. I can't stress that enough. Check out amazon.
    Parker does have flare ups...he is sensitive to other things in the air...I just don't know what they are. My current worry is finding a different sunblock. I have some leads, though.
    Good luck.

I am using Neutrogena Sensitive - it has no chemicals and seems to be working well.

Thanks for the tips!

tigalig Guest

We stopped using Protopic after the first warning months ago and I refuse to use anything other than hydrocortisone, sparingly. We do the following: never dry after bath, apply Eucerin directly on damp skin, and reapply on skin (after wetting with wash cloth) one or two times a day. It doesn't cure it completely, but it really does help alot and sometimes it's all clear. HTH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast