Mom2Miri Guest

Default Do I have everything I need for PT & when to use Easy Ups?

For some reason I'm really dreading PT! Can someone tell me if I have everything I need? I have the Baby Bjorn potty, Easy Ups, potty book, and travel potty. I'm planning on getting training pants (are these necessary?), undies, and the Baby Bjorn toilet trainer when she gets further along.

We've read the book, she successfully tried the potty once today so now it begins...so do I start using Easy Ups right away? I thought my ped had said she saved those until the kids were really good at using the potty regularly but maybe she meant training pants?

Thanks! I'm embarrassed that I'm so clueless about PT!
    Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url] 27 months and counting

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Do I have everything I need for PT & when to use Easy Ups?

We never really used Easy Ups for PT per say. We used them while PT when we had to go somewhere in case of an accident. Once it seemed like DS was ready (staying dry long periods during the day, knew what to do on the potty consistently, etc.), we had a chat about using the potty from now on and switched him directly into big boy underpants (that I let him chose from Target). We had a couple of accidents over 2 days, and then he figured it out.

You probably need to think about your reward system. We used M&Ms every time he went potty (1 for sitting, 2 for doing something with us prompting, 4 for him telling us) and got a big prize for completly PT. Other people use stickers or little wrapped presents from the dollar store. And be sure to use LOTS and LOTS of praise and love every time she does anything.

HTH,

Sarah
    Alex 3/2002
    Catherine 8/2003

Mom2Miri Guest

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url] 27 months and counting

brubeck Guest

One thing that I use a LOT when potty training are those flushable Scrubbing Bubbles wipes. You won't believe how many messes you egt on the bathroom floor.

The most important thing you need in helping a child transition to the toilet is patience and a relaxed attitude. I have transitioned four children - they were all between 2 yrs. 6 mo. and 2 years 9 months. We read a few books (both ourselves to get some ideas and for them), a small toilet for them (don't remember the brand), and some underwear when they showed interest. We talked it up alot, praised them alot, used some stickers here and there, and just basically went on with our lives. I found when the child is ready, they will literally train in a day or two. Once they figure out the connection between the urge to go and getting to the toilet, it will become second nature. We just tried to treat using the bathroom as part of life with no big reward system other than the praise part. I didn't spend lots of money - just lots of encouragement. You will get through this when the child is ready - that is the key. Good luck!