TLC1994 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Anyone used Goodnites?

My almost 4-yr. old daughter is potty trained during the day but has accidents at night nearly every night, but is kind of tired of Pull-ups being so "diaper-like." Are the Goodnites more like underpants and less like a diaper? Also, she's about 36 lbs., and the small Goodnites start at 40 lbs. - think they'd be ok anyway?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

mam615 Guest

Default RE: Anyone used Goodnites?

I have some vague memories of my little sister's night wetting problems (I was a teenager when she was 4-5 years old). Back then (mid-eighties), there were no pull-ups, so she just had cotton training pants. With the cotton pants, she was aware of the pee-accidents, and she was motivated to correct it. (Also, we had to use a plastic pad to protect her bed.) Before going to bed (at around 11pm or so), my parents would get her out of bed and sit her on the toilet, and she would usually go. I'm not sure if they got her up again in the middle of the night or not. Well eventually she stopped going in bed and felt proud of the achievement. I think we cut back on drinks after dinner, too.

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use Goodnites with my 3 year old son because he floods out regular diapers at night. We're working on potty training during the day, but I think it'll be a while before he's dry at night. The Goodnites look more like regular undies, but they feel like pullups when you touch them. Can't tell you if they feel the same on! ;-) The pattern for boys is ATVs and motorcycles -- can't remember what it is for girls. So yes, they are less diaper-like in looks, and are thinner than pullups or regular diapers. They hold a TON of liquid though -- we get through most nights without leaks, unless DS has had a lot to drink the night before. The small Goodnites will probably be a little big on your daughter, but I'd give them a try. We started using them before DS hit 40 pounds and they worked fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about your DD wetting the bed at 4. Lots of kids do it, and most of the time its either their bladder hasn't caught up in size to the rest of their body or they are such deep sleepers that they don't wake up to the bodies natural cues. Family members were bed wetters for quite a while, and they simply grew out of it. Limiting liquids and getting DD up before you go to bed can help reduce the number of accidents. You might want to mention it to the ped at her 4 year check up to make sure everything is OK - sometimes there is a physical issue causing it (one family member had a hernia), but if not, I'd just see if she grows out of it naturally. And definitely try the Goodnites, if only to cut down on your laundry load!

Sarah
    Mom to Catherine and Alex

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can only vouch for the sizing of them. My DS has been using them for a few months b/c he outgrew regular dipes, NOT because he's potty training. The S/M ones (40-75lbs.) have always fit him fine, and he is now about 37 lbs.

HTH!

nd93 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

This is my first foray to the Toddler boards, and I was looking for almost this exact topic! My oldest DD is now 5, and she still wets at night. We have been using goodnights, diapers did not hold enough. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or if we just need to wait it out. My ped is not concerned, feels she just has a small bladder or is a heavy sleeper and does not get up to go. I know a friend who tried waking their daughter during the night to go and they had success. But I'm up a lot these days with my 14 month old so I'm not up for that right now. Just wondering if anyone else has been there with this and had any ideas that worked for them to share.