3pmom Guest

Default Does deflector in Baby Bjorn toilet trainer insert cause problem?

I was considering buying the Bjorn toilet trainer (insert) because I have an elongated toilet, but the picture of it makes it look like it has a huge hump on the center front. I am concerned this will be very uncomfortable to my DD, as well as make it hard for her to get herself seated. Also, won't she be confused when the time comes to use our seat and we have no hump? I was going to try to potty train on an insert instead of a potty since lately my 20 month old has been very interested in the toilet. Have any of you had any problems with the huge deflector bump?

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Does deflector in Baby Bjorn toilet trainer insert cause problem?

I have a boy, so I can't be as reflective as perhaps you can with regard to your daughter's size, but I didn't think the deflector was all that large. In fact, I was worried that it wasn't large enough for boys, LOL! Can you get to a BRU and check it out in person?

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

amp Guest

We have the Bjorn insert and while DS has not actually pooped or peed while on it, he has sat on it and the deflector does not seem to interfere w/ sitting, and he actually sits back a tiny bit from it. It falls at the normal space between your thighs, so I don't think it would be at all uncomfortable for a girl. Just my thoughts! And it seems so much better made than any of the other ones we'd looked at!

3pmom Guest

Thanks for both of the replies. My DD was seeming to be SO excited to sit on the toilet that I ended up ordering one online (my local ToysRUs doesn't carry it and we don't have a BabiesRUs) before I received your replies. Turns out I really like the deflector because without it my daughter was keeping her legs totally together. On the down side, while waiting for it to arrive I was sitting her on the toilet and holding her so she wouldn't fall in so when I got the insert I only got her to sit on it once. She gets mad and takes it off the toilet because she sees me using the toilet with no insert and like I said, she got to sit on it without one. Any ideas how I can get her to want to sit on the insert? I can't keep holding her on the toilet because even with me holding her she is unsteady on there and she keeps her legs totally together.

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hooo, boy. Well, you're dealing with toddler logic there, I don't know how make her want anything! ;-) I would try to make a game out of it or somehow make it fun. Perhaps you could try doing it once with, once without so that she sees that she's more stable.

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

I have no experience with potty training so take this for what it's worth. . . . Maybe if your DD likes stickers you can let her put a favorite one on the deflector part? Then she gets to look at it every time she sits on the insert? Just a thought.