writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Safety First Potty N' Step Stool - good choice?

I was in Toys R Us and bought this on impulse because they were offering $3 off any potty over $12. Does anyone else have this potty?

This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...197342-6376707

Should I keep it or take it back and exchange it for the Graco one?

I'm not in any rush on this -- I'm not planning on starting taining anytime soon, but thought it might be a good idea to have a potty around the house for DD to get used to the idea.

Thanks,
    Karen

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Safety First Potty N' Step Stool - good choice?

I really love our Baby Bjorn potty seat. One piece construction plus the potty bowl. Easy to clean and transport. We even put one in the van last summer for traveling. I have three of them and wouldn't buy any other one.
    Michele
    Mama to three girls

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought this chair with TRU $3.00 off coupon too. I thought it would be good because it could be used on its own and could be used on the toilet and included a stepping stool. I don't like it. I am returning the second chair I bought for my mother's house.

My son kept playing with it when it was used on the floor by itself. He kept taking out the removable cup and would pretend like he was drinking out if it. I found the cup in differnt parts of the house. I also don't think I would enjoy cleaning the cup every time it is used. The seat was very difficult to use on the toilet. It is hard to fasten and detach from the toilet seat and sits several inches above the toilet seat when it is fastened. Since my son's bathroom is also our guest bathroom, this is unacceptable.

I have since bought a Safety First seat from Walmart that just slips into the toilet. It has handles on the side that my son can hold. It was $6.00. We just started letting him use the toilet this week and we have to lift him onto the seat and lift him off. I think I will move his stepping stool into the bathroom so he can get on the seat himself. This seat is very easy to remove and we will be able to store it next to the toilet discretely.

Hope this helps.
    angela

We also have the one piece Baby Bjorn. When started with the two piece and ended up returning it because DD was always pulling it out and dragging it around. It is easier to clean up but with the one piece there's less distraction.
    K
    DD#1 05/09

marjnpat Guest

I did exactly the same thing, and bought the same potty too. Like everyone else I don't find it very useful. My daughter drags it all over the house and stores her toys in it. Sometimes she'll sit on it but she has no interest in using it as a potty. Friends have recommended we use something like the baby bjorn that just sits over the regular seat because you don't have to train your child to use 2 different kinds of toilets. Makes sense, although it may be a bit more messy in the beginning. Good luck!!