Default Best "emergency" potty for boy

Jack is a very late potty trainer (due to some GI medical problems last year). He's finally ready and motivated (sometimes) to do this. He's been trained for poop since April and is working on pee.

He wears thick (Hanna) training pants, and does okay if we set a timer and reward him every hour for dry pants (then he goes to pee when the timer rings). He doesn't think to go if we don't remind him, and this is definitely a problem when we're about and about.

I've been thinking that we need one of those travel potties for the park, the car, etc.

What would you recommend for a 4 year-old boy? He's on the small side (35 lbs.) and can pee either sitting or standing.

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Kimberly H Guest

Default RE: Best "emergency" potty for boy

Mia doesn't like public restrooms (gets hysterical) so we just carry a regular potty in the trunk. When I had my Ford Escape, it was easy to lift the back gate and she'd go insude and do her business. Now that I'm driving a Camry, we either put the potty on the ground beside the car or lift her into the trunk.

We also use cheapo diapers to catch the the pee and poop in the potty, then roll them up and put them into a diaper sack, disposing of it in the nearest trash can. A quick scrub when we get home and it's ready to go again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping for something a bit smaller (we actually don't have a potty at home--we use a Bjorn potty seat or nothing at this point). Does anyone have any experience with something smaller (that could be used in the park, etc.)?

I don't blame Mia--public restrooms are gross!
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

We bought this one - http://www.pottytrainingsolutions.co...products_id=32

Some people don't like it but it has been great for us. DS will stand up or sit down but with this one, he can sit. It can also hold to 70 lbs and is very easy to transport, clean, etc.. It is actually smaller than it looks in the picture and a great deal at $21.95. We have been really happy with it.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

We have the On the Go Potty by Potette. DS seems to like it. It is strangely low to the ground, but DS doesn't seem to mind. It is very compact. http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...757&change=117

The other one I've heard of people using is the small Baby Bjorn potty (not the full seat with the back and removable insert). http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...757&change=117
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

brubeck Guest

We have the Baby Bjorn one and it works well. I line it with plastic grocery bags and toss in a maxi pad (instead of a diaper) to soak up the pee.