Ti Lung Guest

Default Potty training DD

Hi Everyone:

DD is nearing 2 1/2 and is a rather stubborn child. She would not go near a potty (except to use it as a step stool). Would you use a little bribe to get her to use the potty (like playing her favorite game or something)? She does show signs of readiness: She tells me when she has to go; she demands her diapers be changed when very wet; she can take her pants by herself...

Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to get her trained before baby #2 arrives (which is in a couple of months).

T.L.

brubeck Guest

Default RE: Potty training DD

Well it depends on your definition of bribe but yeah! My biggest bribes were always praise-related (hugs, word, laughing, kisses, dancing, special songs) but I also used material rewards (fruit snacks, small toys, big toys later on).

Of course it is not going to work unless your DD WANTS to do it. What you need to do is find her motivation. Whatever she loves, dangle it in front of her face and don't give in unless she works at it.

Keep in mind that sometimes just havign the child go around with no diapers and wet themselves is enough motivation. Give that a try too.

I would also try for conditioning: have her watch you when you go, read her books, use a video or two, get a potty doll, etc.

hjdong Guest

I understand your desire to have her potty trained before the next one arrives, but, much like eating and sleeping, this is an area they're in control of, and boy do they know it!

Also, she's only 2 1/2 and there's a lot of psychological issues long after there's physical signs of readiness.

I would say, if she's stubborn, the more she knows you want it, the less she's going to give it to you. The Portable Pediatrician has an interesting approach to potty training stubborn children, but only suggests using it for children over three, because of all the psychological issues that really do need to be worked out. You may want to get it from the library. I didn't use the method because he was potty trained before then, but it seemed logical. In DS' case, I think potty training was 90% in his head and 10% physical.

I also highly recommend Once Upon a Potty. I t really helped him work things out.

HTH,

I very much agree with Holly - this is not something you can do on your own timeline and if you feel time pressure to get her trained before #2, the pressure is likely to be transmitted to her, which can bring trouble. Also, she is likely to regress in some fashion when #2 comes along, and potty training is a big one. Frankly, I found it easier to have two in diapers than to deal with accidents in DSs training pants.

That being said, what worked for us was the potty chart. We put that up and he got a sticker every time he used it. After a lot of stickers (23 or so), he got a special treat, but mainly he liked the stickers. Other treats would work well but I wouldn't push it - just say what the reward will be for using the potty. You can also try having her sit on the potty when you do - DS really liked that. I was very mellow about the whole process and basically never pushed - he was a late trainer, over 3, but it's been super easy. #2 came along when he was two and a half and I thought about trying to train him before she arrived but am glad I didn't.

Good luck!

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04