kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Potty Training DS?

I'm looking for some advice about when to start potty training my 21 month old. I know if he was in day care he would be more exposed to kids who are getting potty trained at his age. He is interested in flushing the toilet, but doesn't have bathroom words yet, like pee pee. I'm wondering when you started and whether you used a smaller potty to start with then moving him up to the regular toilet. Are there signals I should see when he's ready or should I just try putting him on the potty when he gets up from naps, that sort of thing?

thanks!

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

Default RE: Potty Training DS?

21 months is actually pretty young to start PT these days! Not that you can't try but I think the going thinking is to follow your DS's lead. Some signs of readiness to look for are: knowing when he is wet or dirty and/or asking to have his diaper changed, interest in the potty, outward signs of needing to use the potty (holding himself, crossing his legs, etc) which would indicate that his brain is processing bodily signals that he is needing to pee/poop. I didn't start training my son until he was 3. We started with a small potty and then moved up to the big toilet (at his initiative) with a "flippy seat" on it to be more comfortable for him.

There's a couple of other threads on this same topic that you might want to check out. If they are not still on this page, do a search.

Good luck and have fun!

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you! Because I am a SAHM, I sometimes wonder if I hold him back a bit because he is not in an environment where he deals with a lot of other kids. I have worked in day care where I knew there were kids who may have had to potty train early because they were in day care and I knew some older kids who had trouble because it (potty training) wasn't reinforced at home. I don't want to force anything but I'm trying to be aware for signs from him. I appreciate your advice!

Thanks!

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

My DS just potty trained at 39 months. When he was ready to do it, he did. I would just follow your son's lead. He will let you know. :) The pp gave great advice. :)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)