Default Two questions (x-post from Baby Butts)

Hi! I have two questions related to potty training a 2-1/2-year-old.

First, I'm all for doing naked time as a PT method, but I have wall-to-wall carpeting. Can someone who's BTDT fill me in on how much damage this would do to the carpeting if we tried it?

Second, my daughter currently wears the Wal-Mart/White Cloud pull-ups (we loved the diapers but not so much the pull-ups). They tend to give her a wedgie, which she doesn't seem to mind, but the wedgie leads to leaks. Big ones. Are there any pull-ups out there that aren't as likely to cause wedgies? I haven't seen that specific issue addressed in other posts about the merits of different pull-ups.

Thanks!

Ellen

vanaso Guest

Default RE: Two questions (x-post from Baby Butts)

Hi,

I just potty trained my son with "naked day". It lasted for two days, then we did underwear and "accidents" for another two days, then we were done. We have mostly hardwood floors, so there wasn't much damage, but here are my thoughts:

1) I think that "naked time" speeds the process, so a few days (maybe a week) of clean up is a fairly small price to pay.

2) You're giving them lots of fluids, so the urine is pretty diluted meaning less smell/stain. (My son had a harder time with pooping, but there's usually more of a warning with that one so you have more time to whisk them away to the bathroom).

3) We do have carpeting in our family room, and I had anticipated cleaning it/having it cleaned after we trained as part of the process.

4.) I also had a special "play rug" that I had him sit on when we were playing on the carpeted floor (and I brought out the toys that would help him sit still). I tried to cover furniture with blankets or other things that would help absorb any accidents.

5.) We spent a lot of time in our non-carpeted rooms. I tried to come up with new activities that would make the kitchen more appealing (e.g., pouring things into bowls, mixing things, etc.)

We use the Huggies pull-ups and they don't give wedgies/leak. However, once we went naked, I only put the pull-ups on for sleeping because I didn't want to go backward. It's too hard for a kid to think about whether they're wearing a pull up or underwear and whether they can pee in the diaper or need to use the potty.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Vanessa

skipspin Guest

Hi there-
    I used regular panties on DD while she was training so we had floor messes too! Only DDS bedroom has carpet (light tan) and she had maybe 4-5 accidents in there over 2 months. NONE of the spots showed up at all. I justed used my Wal-mard pet stain cleaner on it. Just try not to let him have an accident right after he gets up from bed.

One funny thing that prevents messes: Sometimes I would put DD in her fluffy character slippers. With the panties usually the mess dripped down her leg and the slippers soaked it up. Sort of funny, but it works!

As far as pull-ups: I agree that the Huggies ones are nice- but they are expensive and not as absorbant. I mostly used Target's store brand, and as long as I checked to make sure they were on strait we didn't have leaks. I use Huggies Pull-ups now for at night really long car trips where she falls asleep since we use less than one a day the cost doesn't matter as much.

HTH
    Joy DD 8-21-03

The naked method is the only thing that seems to be working for us. Without a bare bottom my son just forgets that he can't just let it go. I'm past the point of caring about carpet damage. Our carpet is a mess and the Hoover steam vac I bought earlier this year seems to do well enough with cat vomit that I'm ok with it.

Regarding pull ups believe it or not I like the Albertson's store brand best if you have Albertson's where you live. They're more like underwear than anything I've seen - very soft with huge stretchy sides that fit my sons skinny behind quite nicely. And they aren't scratch like the Huggies. I'm sure it's some manufacturer that will sell to other stores. If you don't have an Albertson's email me and I'll see if there's manufacturer info on the bag.

Britt