Thread: Help!

mamatodaniel Guest

Default Help!

My son will be 4 in November. He has been toilet trained (daytime) for over a year, with virtually no accidents. However, he has been sleeping in Pull-Ups until the end of this past August, when I decided it was time he learn for nightime too. Needless to say, he has wet almost every night for the past month. About 2 weeks ago I started getting him up during the night and bringing him to the toilet. Sometimes this works, sometimes not..sometimes my timing is off or he'll wet later on during the night. The wetness does not seem to wake him, at least not right away. I limit his fluid intake after dinner...I am kind of at my wits end (in terms of urine soaked sheets and comforter)

I am desperate for some ideas. I am considering buying Pods to use inside his underwear. Does anyone have any feedback about whether they are worth the cost? ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default RE: Help!

I don't have any advice on bedwetting...I wish I did. Have things gotten better?

Does he squirm all over the bed at night? If he doesn't maybe getting a few of those waterproof mattress pad protectors to save on changing sheets (and your sanity, LOL).

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/118/449761/118.html

Let us know how things are going...while I don't have this problem with my DS, I just might in the future and I'd love to know if anything worked for you.

Jeanette
    (formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
    DS Born Valentine's Day

mamabein Guest

My advice isn't necessarily what you WANT to hear, but ... here goes. My dd was potty learned by 3 but was almost 6 before she was out of night time diapes. WHY? We never did figure it out. Eventually she just didn't need them any more. When the night time diape is dry MOST of the time, then your ds will be REALLY ready. There is NO point making him stressed about it (which means you not stressing about it). There is a lot of urban legend about night time wetting/training, but most kids who sleep soundly just don't wake until the wet is cold. Personally, thank your lucky stars the kid is finally sleeping, and just use the night time diape until he's really ready.

If you are WORRIED about him, you can have him checked by his ped. to make sure his bladder is appropriately sized, and that everything is working as it should (most likely). There are a small # of kids who are physically incapable of holding urine for 8-12 hrs. But more likely he's just relaxed and going with the flow ... sorry - couldn't resist that.

I know it can be stressful, but like so many other things, you are not the one in control of this. Hurrying it to be on your schedule is not going to work. :( I'm sorry. If there were a magic trick, we'd ALL be using it. I think supporting him however you can, yk, like boosting his confidence in other areas etc. will maybe be the best approach. Confident kids pee their beds too, but they handle it better. Don't do laundry, do diapers! :7 I wish there were better adivce, but I never found any, and even though I thought she might not, she figured it out all on her own. Sigh.

I second this advice. If he's doing it every night, he most likely is not capable of holding it.

I know someone who did this until he was 8 or so. His parents were not very understanding and it's something he remembers vividly.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
    http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 11-09-2009 at 01:48 AM.

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm glad to see your post and the replies as we are going through the same thing. DD day trained at 22 mths on her own so I thought night time would be the same, but it's not. I had heard and read that you should wait until the pull up is dry when dc wakes up, but DD always wakes up, pees in her pull up and then asks to take it off. I've told her 100 times not to pee in it if she's awake but she just goes right ahead and is lazy and pees in it. So I don't know if she's sleeping through at night and going or if she is just lazy.
    She decided that when we finished our last pull up she wouldn't wear them at night anymore (she turned 4 a few weeks ago).
    Night one she wet the bed twice, once at 11.30, once at 5.30 (times she often comes into our bed, so I think she is waking up when she needs to go).
    Last night I put her on the toilet at 11pm before I went to sleep and she woke up calling out that she was wet at 5 again.
    I don't know if she is forgetting she doesn't have a pullup on or is just not waking up enough. I asked her (not making a big deal out of it) and she said she forgot. So I've decided to give it a couple of weeks and if she's still going in the night to go back to putting on a pull up. It was good to read other peoples advice about the age and I'm not putting pressure on DD about it. I just don't want her to keep going in the pull up when she's awake, that makes me mad!
    Anyway, sorry this got long, hope things work out for you. Please post if you find anything that works.

Cindder Guest

Hi, I was just going to post a topic like this one but thought I would just respond. I am going through the same FRUSTRATING thing with my twin son who will be 4 in May. He and his twin have been potty trained for awhile but only he cant seem to hold it through the night. When I put him back in pullups, he would sometimes have accidents during the day which he would normally never have. I then decided that the pull ups were making him lazy and went back to underwear at night. Unfortunately, every night he wets the bed, even after we wake him to go before we go to bed as well as limit his fluid intake. I am so tired of washing the sheets and water proof mattress pad. When I ask him what happened, he tells me he doesnt want to get out of bed and that he needs his sleep (funny, huh!).

In reading these posts, I guess the response would be to put him back in pull-ups? My fear is that this will not teach him to get out of bed if he doesnt really want to...

I thought of taking away a priveledge when he wets the bed and rewarding him when he doesn't, but I am not sure if that is appropriate...

Sorry this is so long, I'm feeling desperate and I completely sympathise with your situation....

This sounds exactly like what my ped told me about my daughter-I was actually worried a little prematurely and started questioning the night time thing when she was a little over three. He said that some kids just don't for whatever reason until they are 5 or so and that usually if they haven't stopped wetting the bed at night by 5 they then check for any medical issues but that some kids still wet the bed when they are 7-8(not necessarily every night) and that bedwetting can be hereditary. My mom had both my sister and I pt'd by 2 years old and she said that we never reverted back and wet.

I am having trouble with Allie who will be 4 in March-she still wears pull ups at night if she has had something to drink late or we had a late dinner for some reason or occasion but she wants to sleep in panties and is getting much better-she is just a heavy sleeper and truely doesn't wake up. I am a night owl and have gone in to check on her and can smell the pee and she will be sound asleep and there have been other times that she has and when she wakes up she is just damp because it had dried. I just make the bed double(easier for me)I put a sheet on then the waterproof mattress pad then a sheet on top of it so if it happens I can just peel off the top layer and still have a dry sheet under it ready to go-she has never peed twice in the same night.

Sorry this is getting long but she is often 'lazy' about going to potty-she will wait until the last possible minute and then have to run to potty sometimes wetting her panties about the size of a quarter. I am getting so tired of this and having to remind her or ask her if she needs to go and this is not an everyday thing with the wetting so I know that she can control it but it doesn't seem to bother her because she just takes off the wet and goes and gets her some fresh ones to put on. Any advice appreciated-we have started taking away things if she wets her panties(I know sounds cruel but it does seem to be working but really makes her mad-hopefully mad enough to quit!)

Lisa
    Mom to Allie Nicole
    3-10-03

Default 12 y/o nephews

I have 12 y/o nephews that still wet to bed. It is hereditary...so I'm told. They are on some kind of medication at night that helps some how? Not sure what it is or anything but it really helps them. I'm thinking it is a bladder size issue or sleeping too heavy? It really surprises me that they are not embarassed about it at all, I think b/c they know they can't control it? They have a little brother too and he doesnt have this problem at all.

Default You are not alone!

I just wanted to add my experience to the list. My son is 4.5 (in Aug he will be 5). He has been daytime trained since 3.5 but he STILL wears a nighttime pull-up to bed. We limit liquid intake before bed, he goes to the bathroom before getting in bed, and he still wakes up wet 90% of the time. To top it off, there are plenty of nights where he wakes up because he has wet the pull-up and it wet his pj shirt a little. We change his pull-up midway through the night and in the morning, he will be wet again.

He is such a deep sleeper that there are numerous occasions (1-2 x every 2 wks, so not a regular thing) that he wakes up in the morning at his usual time completely SOAKED. PJ's, bed, everything and it didn't wake him up when he actually peed.

Otherwise, developmentally speaking, he is a completely normal 4.5 yr old. He has absolutely no other issues besides this one. We just choose not to make it an issue with him because from what I have read, he will just outgrow this. Developmentally his bladder might not be able to hold it or he's just a ridiculously sound sleeper We talk to him about it and some mornings he will wake up dry (rarely) and he goes right to the bathroom instead of peeing in his pull-up.

It's something that we are keeping an eye on, but I figure we can't do too much as parents other than talk about it and suggest that if he wakes up and has to pee, that he get up and use the toilet. My neices are both younger than him and are completely trained (day and night) - and the youngest one just turned 2! I guess it's an individual thing. Good luck!
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005