Default He only wets his pants at daycare

Troy turned 3 in May. We had been trying to train him (lightly) for a few months, then, over the summer we went full throttle and took away the pullups and diapers completely.

He immediately did great. Even running errands, shopping, and through the night. We used M& M 's in the beginning, but he stopped looking for anything as a reward.

He has been fully trained for about 2 months. He even goes to the bathroom by himself, takes his pants down, pulls them back up, etc. With 1 exception. He will not use the toilet at daycare. He has been going to the school for over a year, but only started with the teacher in June. He doesn't seem to like her as much as the last teacher, and he is in a more structured preschool program now.

We have tried everything. In the beginning he woud just hold it all day, lately he wets his pants (today he wet 3 times). They are great about changing him, and are making him change his own clothes now, so maybe that will convince him he should take the time out to go to the bathroom. Nothing works. I hesitate to call these accidents, because I think this is a power struggle and he is doing it deliberately.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I don't want to go to pullups at school, but I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.

Janet
    Mom to Troy 5/31/04

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: He only wets his pants at daycare

I just wanted to respond and send some support. Potty using can be so stressful. Hopefully things have resolved themselves. If not, talk to the teacher and see if she has any ideas as to what's causing this. Is it the potty itself (size, height, color...) or the bathroom setup. Maybe when it flushes it's loud? We have found that the fears are real, but don't always make sense to us.

Anyway, good luck.