Thread: Picky Eaters

JakesMom Guest

Default Picky Eaters

Does anybody else have trouble getting their toddler to eat veggies? My son used to eat all sorts of veggies, but has decided over the past four months or so that he doesn't like them. We've tried a few things, such as getting dried veggies like corn, carrots & peppers (available at Whole Foods and some Jewel stores). He's done okay with these. We have also diced veggies and buried them in cheese on pizza. So far, the best way has been to give him chopped veggies in a teriyaki-style rice.

My husband has juiced veggies (such as carrots) with apples, but somehow Jake detects it if there's more than one carrot in the glass. One of my friends purees carrots into spaghetti sauce, but my kid is one of the few who doesn't love spaghetti. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ct Guest

Default RE: Picky Eaters

I have the same problem with my toddler. For about 6 months she wouldn't eat ANY veggie at all (once she graduated from baby food to table food). Just recently she started liking corn (right from the can or from the cob) and green beans. I asked her pediatrician and he said not to worry, just keep trying to give her them and eventually she'll eat them. I have to give my her a flouride supplement due to our water and that includes some vitamin supplement too so I feel a little better knowing that at least she's getting some vitamins via the supplement, but I really wish I could get her to eat more veggies. I've tried burying them too, but the clever little devil always finds them!! I too welcome any suggestions in this matter...

ct

KathyO Guest

You could try baked goods that contain veggies... loafs, muffins, even "cookies", with zucchini, carrots, pumpkin, squash, etc. There are lots of low-fat recipes that don't require much sugar either, so you're still in the pretty-good-food zone.

Too bad about him disliking spaghetti - that tomato sauce can hide so much other stuff!! Any chance he'd take animal-shaped noodles or lasagna or gnocchi or anything like that?

Good luck,

KathyO

brubeck Guest

Just because he is not eating veggies now does not mean that he won't later. My daughter will go through a big meat meat meat stage for weeks, thenignore the meat and eat fruit and veggies for weeks, then back to the meat. It's weird, but I figure that over a couple of weeks she is getting a well-rounded diet.

One thing my friend tried that worked for her is veggie burgers. She gives them to one child as a real burger/sandwich, and the other child (she has twins) gets broken up pieces on the tray. I don't think the kids realize that they are veggies.

Also try the Veggie Crackers from Gerber Graduates. They are suprisingly nutritious and include many powdered veggies.

Connie1222 Guest

Does your son like omelettes? My son will eat just about anything in an omelette. I hide spinach, broccoli, carrots, peas etc. and he always finishes the whole thing!