Thread: Food Allergies

Denise Guest

Default Food Allergies

Is anyone dealing with food allergies with their children?
    My daughter (10 mo.) is allergic to peanuts, milk, and eggs.
    She had a +1 reaction to wheat also so we are avoiding that also.
    This is new to us (she was diagnosed 2 weeks ago).
    We are looking for ideas on what to feed her.
    Also ideas on how to educate and manage other people she comes in contact with.

mango4 Guest

Default RE: Food Allergies

I know how you feel!
    My son (18 mos) is allergic to peanuts and eggs. The doc advised no nuts of any kind, no seafood or fish either-- to be safe.
    I've learned a lot from:
    "The Peanut Allergy Answer Book" by Michael Young, MD
    www.foodallergy.org
    www.peanutallergy.com
    There are cookbooks out there to help. I'm going to get one called "Bakin' Without Eggs."
    For me, I think the biggest obstacle is well-meaning adults and children who try to give my son food. BE FIRM! Be dramatic, if you have to. I tell people my son could die from peanuts (true), and that they're in a lot of things you would not expect. I have emailed articles and websites to family members, so they can read for themselves.
    I accept the fact that some people are going to think i'm whacko, but it's my son's health and safety at stake.
    Hang in there!!!

motherwarrick Guest

My son is now almost 3 = has life-threatening allergies to peanuts, soy, dairy, and eggs. He wears a medic-alert bracelet that lists his allergies and has a number to call with info regarding health history, meds, parent info, etc... It's great in case he gets seperated from us or someone else is caring for him and needs access to his info. It also allows us to bring HIS food in to stadiums and places that normally do not allow any food items in = the bracelet helps validate that he cannot eat just anything. We also carry 2 epi-pens with us at all times (always have at least 2 pens wherever your child will be) = get the 2 pack epi-JR pens with a trainer (to practice with and to teach family members). One pen is not always enough because the epinephrine has a very short half-life once dispensed and lasts only 15 to 20 minutes. Secondary reactions can occur later. Never inject an epi-pen and not call 911, and.....ALWAYS make sure you clearly tell the dispatcher to bring epi on board. My husband's client's 9 yr old daughter died from a peanut allergy because TWICE, the ambulances did not have epi on board (must have been a BLS vehicle or fire truck with EMTs rather than paramedics); it's now a law in our county to have all emergency support vehicles carry epi-pens. Whatever you learn about allergies and how to manage it; teach your family as well. Do not let them take care of your child without becoming familiar with the epi-pen, symptoms of anaphylaxis, and what to do in an emergency. It's important to use the term "Life-Threatening allergies" whenever discussing your child's allergies.

Join the Food Allergy Network (for a nominal fee) = they send you newsletters and alerts of products that have hidden allergens, etc...

Visit the I Village.com Allergy board = there is TONS of information on it and these moms are a support network. I found out about the formula my son is still on through this board (Neocate) = he cannot drink dairy or soy or any other brand of formulas on the market. These moms are very helpful and supportive.

Best of luck to you........

Denise Guest

I have to admit I knew so little about this until now.
    I like the e-mailing articles idea.
    I found the book by Michael Young very helpful.
    I,m working on getting some cookbooks too-I'll look for the cooking without eggs one.
    I feel like guard dog whenever we go anywhere people are eating.

denise1111 Guest

That is so sad and infuriating about what happened to that 9 yr old girl.
    Thanks gor the great information.
    Iam going to check out the i village board right now.
    ***Denise E***

kyungha Guest

I have got a lot of supports and information from yahoo group. POFAK(parents of food allergy kids). They will give you recommendations for books and other things. Good luck!

denise1111 Guest

The yahoo POFAK group is great! Thanks for recommending it.
    ***Denise E***

Lauraf Guest

My 2 yr old son is also allergic to dairy, eggs and sesame. We have found the information and cookbooks from the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis network to be very helpful. I gave my son's pre-school teacher a copy of the shopping cards for dairy and egg allergies, so the teachers will have a better idea of what foods to avoid for snack. (These cards list ingredients that aren't commonly known e.g. lecithin is egg; soy lecithin is ok.) The cookbooks have been great!

We originally had my son tested for food allergies when he was 10-11 months old using the RAST test; he was allergic to soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, and peanuts. We subsequently learned that there is disagreement as to the accuracy of testing a child at such a young age. Their allergies can change; the test seems to be more a snapshot in time.

Another point I learned is that a person can test positive to a food, yet not display any allergy symptoms to that item. Of course, I am not trying to give you medical advice. (My son was tested again using the scratch test when he was 2 and now shows fewer allergies - eggs, dairy, and sesame.)

Another idea for you is to ask your allergist to refer you to a nutritionist. S/he might have some other ideas.

As for foods, check the health food store or organic section of the supermarket for rice pasta and cereals. For calcium, my son loves soy yogurt. There are two brands of cheese that I have found to be completely dairy free - Tofutti (with little nutritional value), and Vegan (which does have calcium in it). Most soy cheeses actually have casein or sodium caseinate - a dried milk protein - in them.
    There also is an eggless mayonnaise by Haines which is pretty good.

I hope this helps.

Denise Guest

Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience.
    I am sure FAAN will be a great resource when it comes time for schooling to start (they are already, too).
    I will try some soy yogurt with my dd. I hope she likes it. That would be great. Would you mind sharing which brand your son loves?
    I appreciate your help.
    Denise

lauraf Guest

He loves Stoneyfield Farms O'Soy yogurts. The Silk soy yogurts are ok with him too.