SDMom Guest

Default Alternative High Chair for Toddler

Can anyone suggest/recommend an alternative to a standard high chair for my 27lb., 28-month old daughter? Ideally, we'd like some type of chair that could be pulled-up to our dining table, will look nice with our oak furniture, and keep her comfortable and in place. She currently uses the Graco high chair that we bought for her almost 2 years ago. It's looking pretty trashy -- she's destroyed the pad. Also, she seems to want out of it, but isn't ready for a smaller booster (restaurant-type). We've looked at KinderZeat and know that one might fit the bill, but are put off by the price. Has anyone found a less-expensive option?

Thanks!

AngusMom Guest

Default RE: Alternative High Chair for Toddler

Do you like the chairs they have at restaurants? If so, you can buy them direct online. One place that has the chair is babysupermall.com. You can find it at:

http://www.babysupermall.com/main/pr.../lpp24247.html

Good luck!

SDMom Guest

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at the restaurant chairs and am considering them. In a way, I wish that I'd started with one when we bought our first high chair. They are simple to use and easy to clean. We've found that most of our high chair's fancy features haven't been all that useful. The drawbacks to restaurant chairs that I see are that my daughter can tip them fairly easily and that see might see them as being too babyish and refuse to sit in one.

After I posted my question, I did some more searching and found a youth chair at: http://www.organicbebe.com/detail.asp?product_id=RL05. It's closer to what I've had in mind, but I'm disappointed by the choice of finishes. I guess that you can't have everything...

jmdangelo Guest

We use the First Years reclining 3 stage seat and love it - it's become invaluable as it is very portable - great for visiting - can be sat on floor or strapped onto dining chair. If we'd known about it when our 15 mo old son was younger, might have skipped the big bulky high chair altogether - for kids up to 40 lbs....

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We found a fantastic wooden toddler chair at Ikea. It looks like a regular chair, just narrower and taller - it pulls right up to the table. It took only about 5 minutes to assemble and the quality seems excellent. The best part - it only costs $20! We liked this chair so much we bought one for grandma's house, too! Good luck!
    -Lauren

I really like the Ikea chair too, but unfortunately was told it was an in-store item only and I could not mail order it. I am in Atlanta and we do not have an Ikea store here.
    My DS is 29 months old and has just been sitting in a regular chair since before his 2nd birthday. He pretty much refused the restaurant high chairs and has never sat in a booster seat.
    He does ok, except that our kitchen table (custom made) is on the tall size, so the tall Ikea chair would have been perfect for us if we could get it.

Sarah....

Wendy S. Guest

We used one of those plastic boosters that straps onto a regualr diningroom chair. It had a removable tray and was safe to run through the dishwasher when it got dirty.
    For my mother's house, we found an antique tall, narrow wooden chair on consignment at a flea market. It has a back and arms that wrap around the child. It also has a footrest at just the right level, so I imagine this is exactly what it was designed for. The only draw back was that we had to install our own safety strap. As with any purchase like this, be certain the item is truly suitable for use by a child.
    Also found a KinderZeat at a furniture consignment store. Marked $18. Obviously they didn't know what it was. The find of a lifetime, but it worked great for us!