elaine_l Guest

Default road trip food containers

I am about to embark on a 10 hour road trip with my 2 year old. I would like to be able to give her snacks unsupervised (meaning, me in the front seat, her in the rear seat) without having a full day's supply of cheerios etc flung into the various nooks and crannies of the car in the very first moment of frustration.

What I'd like is some sort of small container with a large toddler-proof (yes, I am dreaming here!) lid that would have a smaller, toddler-friendly opening that would generally release only a few cheerios at a time. Thus, allowing the child to feed, but limiting spillage from any one throwing incident.

I am willing to put up with small amounts of spillage. My current strategy is to pour just a dozen pieces into a bowl from the source bowl, then refill frequently. This is not terribly practical if I am driving.

They make these kinds of things for dogs and horses; does anyone make them for babies?

Other strategy suggestions gratefully appreciated.

ablair Guest

Default RE: road trip food containers

In my opinion, one of the greatest toddler inventions ever is the Cheerio Phone. I think it is about the closest thing to what you are looking for. It is literally an official "Cheerio" brand item (the packaging is the same as the cereal). The cheerios are stored in the "phone" body. To get them out, your daughter pulls down a little flip tray (like a cell phone) and presses a button. About 10 cheerios come out into the little flip down tray. To get more, she has to close the flip tray and then do it all again, so not only does it reduce spills, it takes longer for her to eat (a really nice thing on long trips : ).

My two year old loves hers, it is like a snack and game all in one. There is a whole line of these shaped like sports bottles, a truck, etc. but I think the phone is the best. I am pretty sure I bought mine at Babies-r-us. Hope this helps!

Ashley

sweetbasil Guest

Default RE: road trip food containers

My sister bought us a Cheerio dispenser that's kind of hourglass shaped. The Cheerios go in the bottom part, and there's a screw on lid with a "trap door" between the top and the bottom. My DS has never had a problem moving Cheerios (a few at a time) from the body to the "holding pen" under the lid. I've seen them in Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory) for under $10.... Have a fun trip!