cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Is peanut butter really that bad?

I gave 15 month old Julia about 1 tb of peanut butter spread very thin on a piece of toast and she had no reaction to it. Should I continue to give it to her or hold of until the sage age of 2 or 3?

When I gave it to her I knew that some kids have reactions to it but not as severe as I later read about. I am just glad she was ok with it.

Thanks!

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02

luvbeinmama Guest

Default RE: Is peanut butter really that bad?

It can be life threatening to some kids, but if you don't have any history of allergies I would be less worried about it. Since she had no reaction, I think it's safe to continue to give it to her.

We have a kid in DS's preschool that has a peanut allergy so there are no nuts allowed at the school this year. That's how bad it can be.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Peanut and tree nut allergies can be very life threatening. I went to college with a girl who ended up in the ER a couple time when I knew her from being exposed to peanuts unknowingly.

That being said, if your DD didn't react, its probably not a problem. Personally, we are avoiding them until age 3. There is no hassle on my part to avoid them, so I just am. We use soynut butter instead of peanut butter and she likes it just fine.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

cara1 Guest

What nuts are tree nuts? Other than soynut butter, what else are we allowed to use? Where do you get soynut butter, and what does it taste like?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I get soynut butter at my local grocery store (Safeway) or if you go to a place like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, they will probably have a couple different brands. It is comparably priced to peanut butter. To me, it tastes like the natural peanut butters if you have ever had those. Not as sweet and a bit more bland than your typical Skippy or Jif.

Tree nuts are things like almonds, walnuts, etc.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you for the advice. Maybe I'll try the soy butter too.

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02

cara1 Guest

Mmm, just bought it. It's good! DS ate it, but I think mainly because I hid it in bread and he didn't know it was there. If I leave it exposed and it gets on his hands, he freaks out. Can't have anything messy/sticky on his hands. Anyone else's kid like that?

atlbaby Guest

My kid, my kid!!!:) Boy am I glad to hear that Arielle isn't the only one like this! Well, my mom did say I was like that so I guess it's hereditary? Strange... But Arielle is so finicky about getting dirty! Dry-dirty is alright since I've been working on it (not great, but alright...she won't go near sand though). But wet-dirty is a whole different story. At her mommy and me class she won't touch paint (not even on a long brush or in those little sponge bottles where they make dots on the paper) and if she gets a smidgin on herself she freaks out. Today I discovered that even the word paint gets her a bit upset! We were at 'school' and I was trying to get her over to the arts&crafts table to do some sponge bottle painting. I suggested it using the word "paint" and she held up her hands at me and said "no, no, no"! My mom swears I wasn't this bad, but I think she's probably forgetting...:)

Meal time messiness is getting better though. If she's in her booster and is eating tomato sauce or some other messy food and it gets on her hands I'm teaching her to lick them or ask me to wipe them for her. Ususally, she'll get over it. But if it's outside her booster, not a chance.

So I'm in the same boat as you...How is DS with non-food related messiness?

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2 EDD 10/24/03:)