KimberleyDawn Guest

Default When did you switch over to whole milk?

I posted this question on the baby board so it may be easier to answer there but I wanted to make sure my toddler moms saw it.
    I know when bfing some choose to continue past the first year so why do formula fed babies get switched over at a year?
    Is it common to continue to formula feed past one year? How old was your baby when you started the switch and how old when they were exclusively on whole milk?
    Kim

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: When did you switch over to whole milk?

I switched Sarah at around 13 months. I started the transition when she was 12 months and did it gradually. She had some trouble when I tried to make the transition quicker than that.

In general, milk is a food and a good source of fat, calcium and protein. But it is not considered a "complete" diet, like formula or breastmilk is for a baby. If a one year old doesn't eat a wide variety of foods or has been slow to grow or thrive, then some peds will recommend continuing formula.

I think the reasons for continuing to breastfeed past one year is, in general, less for nutritional reasons than for other reasons. And all the moms I know personally who breastfed past one year, started their babies on milk in sippies as a beverage with meals once they turned a year.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

KimberleyDawn Guest

Thanks for the response Beth. I don't know if you saw the responses at the baby forum but the bfing mom's were great too at answering my question.
    Kim

KUvsOU Guest

We switched over to whole milk when my son was 1 year old. We made a gradual transition and started by mixing it with his formula at first. He seemed to do pretty well. Our biggest problem is that I have waited too long to take him off his bottle for his milk. He gave up the pacifier at 3 months and used the bottle to soothe his teething. He didn't like any of the sippy cups, but likes the cups with a straw for his juice and water. We are going to try a different cup with a straw today so hopefully he will start drinking all his milk again.

Shawna
    Mom of Cade 6/16/02

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My ped says 12-16 ounces of milk a day is more than sufficient after 1 year, so as long he's getting something close to that, I wouldn't worry too much about milk comsumption.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)