vikivoly Guest

Default Lunch Ideas for 13 month old

DD is eating only table foods, but for lunch I often eat something she can't. Any ideas for a quick but healthy lunch for her?

thinking_pink Guest

Default RE: Lunch Ideas for 13 month old

If she's able to eat p-nut butter, put a thing layer on a saltine. Then slice up some fruit peices and cheese she can feed to herself.
    My girls love avacodo peices too.

How about couscous with veggies (peas and carrots)--you can throw frozen veggies right into the water and let it boil a minute before adding the couscous--then it is just 5 minutes of letting it sit. You can also add chunks of tofu or chicken at the end, or put them on the side if your DD is like my DS and likes different piles. This is not the neatest meal, but it does help teach about using a spoon! Just remember, in Morocco they eat couscous with their fingers!

DS also likes cheese quesadillas, mini raviolis, any kind of pasta with red sauce or cheese, tofu hotdogs, marinated tofu cut into pieces (are you sensing a theme? we are vegetarians!) mini meatballs (well, DS eats the veggie equivalent), grape tomatoes, green beans, corn, eggplant, applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, chick peas, rice...

The other thing I've noticed is that he is crazy about cold leftovers. This morning he stood by the fridge begging to eat cold rigatoni with red sauce for breakfast. What could I say? If your DD is interested, you could always give her leftovers from last night's dinner.

HTH,
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

MCW Guest

Default Question for Hallie...

Hallie...I was reading your post as my daughter (14 months) is not eating anything these days...hopefully just a phase!

THEN...I got to the end of your email and noticed your son's name. I thought...hmmmm...I have a friend who's sister is named Hallie and has a Son named Elijah. Are you Robbie's sister? I am pretty sure you are :-) Anyway, I am Mackenzie Wright (well Sullivan now). Just thought I'd say HI! Hopefully this is you :-) Hi to you and Robbie (although I email her often).

Mackenzie
    Mom to Casey

Default RE: Question for Hallie...

Hi Mackenzie! Yes, I am Robbie's sister! How are you? Love the name Casey! I can't believe she is already 14 months!

Did you know that Robbie sent me one of your Baby Bundles for Elijah? He loves it and signs "Baby" to it! Robbie just told me you are also making diaper bags--how is that going?
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

JennyA Guest

Hi Hallie...

interested in learning about vegetarian cooking...any cookbooks to reccemmend?

Thanks!
    Jenny

Hi Jenny!

There are so many great cookbooks out there--is there any particular type of food you are looking for? There are cookbooks that use lots of tofu, seitan, textured veggie protein, etc, and then there are cookbooks that just focus on meatless meals without a "replacer" food--meals with vegetables at the center. But some great books that include suggestions for whole meals and entertaining are New Vegetarian Epicure, any of the Moosewood or Vegetarian Times books, and I've had good luck with a series called "The Best 125 ____ Recipes,"--I have The Best 125 Vegetable Dishes, which groups dishes by the main vegetable ingredient, and Best 125 Pasta Sauces.

I've also come across a book called The Meat-Lover's Vegetarian Cookbook--I've never used it but it might be a good place to start if you are a meat lover!

Please feel free to pm me if you have more questions (or just keep going with the thread!).

Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

KathyOd Guest

Something I do is periodically make up a batch of mac 'n' cheese with a bunch of those frozen diced veggies thrown in, and then freeze individual servings in ziploc baggies. On days when I'm eating something that my daughter won't, I put a frozen serving into a bowl, give it a quick session in the microwave and there we are. You can do this with lots of toddler foods.

MCW Guest

HI Hallie!

Yeah, I knew Robbie gave you a Bundle a while ago...glad he likes it and VERY cool that you taught him to sign! Did you already know how or are you learning along with him? I'd love to teach Casey some simple things...do you know of any good books? You can email me with any good books at [email protected]...I'd love to get one one of these days!

We do make diaper bags now and are doing really well with it. You can check out our site at www.imstillme.bizhosting.com

Chat soon!
    Mackenzie

Actually, I'm doing sign language because of these message boards! If you go over to the baby bargains book lounge and do a search for signing times you will find various threads about the signing times videos and other signing materials. Totally worth it! We watch the videos with Elijah so we learn the signs simultaneously. His vocabulary has more than doubled since we started. I don't have any books but I know there are some out there.

I'll check out your site right now!
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09