Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How do you sweeten plain yogurt?

I have tried in the past to get Sarah to eat plain yogurt with stuff in it (fruits, etc.) to no avail. (I am cursing the day I ever started with YoBaby!) So since she turned two, we have been using the "toddler" yogurts: Danimals, Yumsters, Stonyfield organic and the new organic toddler yogurt by Horizon.

Well, today I was eating MY yogurt, which is usually plain, nonfat yogurt to which I add vanilla and Splenda. She wanted some, so I gave her a taste and she LOVED it! So I got her some plain, lowfat (not nonfat) yogurt and mixed in vanilla and she didn't like it. I added Splenda and she thought it was grand.

But afterwards, I felt a little funny. Should I be giving her artificial sweetener? I know that they are controversial for some and I have absolutely no qualms about using it for ME. But I wasn't sure what to do for her. Splenda? Sugar? Honey? Does anyone know why one would be better than another and why?

Any thoughts??
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

luvbeinmama Guest

Default RE: How do you sweeten plain yogurt?

Personally, I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners in general. I would use sugar or honey if you really want her to eat the plain yogurt. I'm wondering why it's so important to have her eat plain yogurt this way, though. Seems to me the reason for eating plain is that the fruited yogurt has more sugar, but if you are adding sugar to get her to eat it.... kwim? I think it's better to sweeten with fruit/fruit juices than sugar(crystalized cane juice), but better sugar than artificial stuff. JMO. HTH.

Well two main reasons. One, it is much cheaper, and we eat a LOT of yogurt! And secondly, its part of my overall food re-vamp campaign, LOL! :) I am trying to get us all eating more naturally. I don't always use sweetener for me, but I do if the yogurt happens to be especially tart and I'm not using fruit (which was the case here). I am avoiding any added sugar for ME, but I didn't know if there was any particular reason to avoid sugar for a toddler, YKWIM?

Today I used 1/4 teaspoon of sugar in her yogurt (1/2 cup plain) and that seemed sweet enough for her. I am hoping to be able to gradually decrease it and get her used to the more tart taste.

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I usually combine the plain yogurt with some of traditional toddler yogurts. One container of the toddler yogurt tends to last two or three snacks. I keep hoping he will eat it plain or with our own fruit, but not yet. I will fool him someday!

Susan
    Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
    & Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

luvbeinmama Guest

Ah. Okay, that makes sense. I don't think there is any reason to avoid sugar for a toddler, either, especially such a small amount. It all just goes toward their vast amount of energy and growth! LOL! My DS loves plain yogurt, but then, he eats the soy yogurt, so that is a different taste altogether. I don't think that stuff is tart at all.

christic Guest

I've also started giving my daughter plain yogurt since I have it around for me now. I usually add some frozen blueberries, vanilla, and sugar--not sure how much but less than a teaspoon. I don't have any problem with adding that amount of sugar since if I'm converting from grams to teaspoons correctly the Yobaby had nearly 4!

Personally I wouldn't use the Splenda, but I don't use artificial sweeteners myself. To me it seems that toddlers are so in tune with how many calories they need to take in that adding the sweetness without the calories at that age might somehow throw off their sensors--but that's my own twisted logic!

We've tried the Brown Cow brand yogurt that I think is sweetened with honey and I just didn't like the taste.

newbelly2002 Guest

Beth,

Instead of adding just fruit, what about jam or preservatives? Less than a tablespoon usually does the trick. It will have less sugar and "stuff" than a pre-flavored yogurt, but more than just the plain fruit. My mom did this with us and to this day I prefer it that way. I tried it with Dante and he loved it just grand.

Then again, this is the boy who tonight wouldn't eat his chicken so I hid it in large spoonfuls of creamed spinach. I just sat there shaking my head in awe as he opened his mouth wide.

Good luck!
    Paula
    Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

Oh that's a great idea! I'll try that!

jojo2324 Guest

Yep, that's what we grew up with. I am cursing YoBaby because it's so expensive!! $3.49 for a 6-pack? I'd rather get the big tub of plain or vanilla and add jam. Now, if only he would eat it on a regular basis...The kid is so moody about food! :)

Just wanted to add that we tried the yogurt and jam for breakfast this morning and it was a big hit! :)

And Joanne, it also suddently stuck me that I was paying $3 for a 6 pack of toddler yogurt and asked myself, WHAT am I doing???? LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast