Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    newbelly2002 Guest

Default RE: How do you sweeten plain yogurt?

Yippee!! And to think, little ol' me was able to suggest something to Beth? :) You just made my month!

Glad to help out. And now, of course, if you're anything like me you'll end up obsessing over jams. So many flavors, so little time.

Paula
    Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

LOL! Actually this works out really well! Since DH and I are no longer eating jam (for the most part), I now have a way to use up the two jars taking up room in my refrigerator! :)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One of my favorite combinations for myself is vanilla yogurt with wheat germ and maple syrup. I've never done it with plain yogurt, but I would imagine it would still be good.

I also wanted to mention that to me the Sonyfield Farm whole milk plain yogurt tastes infinitely better than nonfat plain yogurt. It's less tart and all of us (DH, DD, and I) will eat it plain.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

MichelleL Guest

My ds loves the plain yogurt! I mix it 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 applesauce and then throw in a banana. But, this is the only kind of yogurt he's ever had. So, he doesn't know what he's missing I guess!

Try that & let me know what you think... :)

Michelle L

Sharlene Guest

You can also make your own yogurt--It's really easy,MUCH cheaper, and tastes great! You bring 1 quart of milk to almost boiling, cool it slightly, stir in some yogurt (either store bought plain or leftover yogurt from your last batch, then let it sit about 6 hours in a warm area. I use the yogurt maker from Salton. It's like a low temp crock pot. It comes with the specific directions and temperatures for heating and cooling. A gallon of yogurt costs the same as a gallon of milk! It tases great plain or with a little sugar and vanilla. I also like it with sugar and lemon extract or some strawberry jam. I bought the yogurt maker at Target but they also have them online and at Salton outlets in the mall.

Sharlene

I love love love Brown Cow, Low Fat, Fruit on the Bottom. Not the honey kind, but the kind flavored with fruit juice. It has a yellow top and only comes in strawberry, lemon, and blueberry. We both just eat the yogert off the top, without mixing it up. Perfectly slightly sweetened, firm and wonderful. Just an idea.

I was told to flavor plain yogurt with maple syrup too. I'm going to try it.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

gour0 Guest

I just bought Wheat germ for the first time. Are there different kinds?

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

There are, but I don't know too much about them. I've always bought the kind that comes in a jar at the regular grocery store (a blue label ... name starts with a "K" I think). DH recently bought some in bulk at a natural foods store and I don't like it as much (weird flavor and too mushy when mixed w/ yogurt). He said that it's not toasted, and that's why it probably tastes different than what I am used to. I know there are other variations as well, but that's the extent of my experience with wheat germ!
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

I use Mother's toasted wheat germ & think it's way better than the non-toasted. I mix it in dd's yogurt & applesauce.
    Kim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2