Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1ceng1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default 13 mo old won't use sippy cup!

Help! My 13 mo old daughter is showing no interest in using a sippy cup. We've tried Avent, Playtex with a straw, and Tommee Tippy. She seems to think it's a game and sucks the liquid out and then just opens her mouth to let it run down her chin and all over herself! We've tried "forcing" her by giving her her first drink in the morning from the sippy, but she still won't drink properly. Any advice?

Thanks!!

luvbeinmama Guest

Default RE: 13 mo old won't use sippy cup!

It's a game right now. Don't worry too much about it. But keep offering it. She will eventually want to drink from it. What are you giving her? My kids did the same thing if I just gave them water, but would really drink if I flavored the water with a little juice.

Kimberly H Guest

Christine, Mia just got the use of a sippy cup a couple of weeks ago. She only likes the First Years Take 'n Toss cups - who knew?

We kept offering her the cup at each meal and made it available (water only) on the coffee table while she played. She finally picked up the cup at a restaurant and drank like she'd been doing it forever. Crazy baby!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Here's another vote for the TakeNToss cups. They were the first ones we used successfully.

Another thing to try is putting something she already drinks in it (breastmilk, formula, whole milk, whatever) so that she knows that what comes out can be swallowed. We used water at first, but my DD just didn't get that you swallowed the stuff from the cup. Then one day I tried formula, and she understood immediately.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

brubeck Guest

If she can get the liquid out of the cup (to let it run down her chin) then she is capable of the sippy. She's just playing mind games with you and experimenting with your reaction.

Why don't you try one day where she doesn't get any liquid unless she drinks from the sippy? One day won't cause any harm (particularlyif you feed her foods with a lot of high water content like fruits) and she may just get thirsty enough to swalklow that liquid.

mamahill Guest

We used the Avent cups first (without the valve), then used the valve, then at about 18-months-old I got some of those TakeNToss cups, and I've since packed away the Avent ones - they were so drippy! The TNT ones are great, but I don't think Ainsleigh would have known what to do with them at first.

I agree with the others, though - as long as she's pulling liquid into her mouth, she knows what to do. She just thinks it's funny right now! Hang in there - she'll figure it out!

purvi Guest

Default Also in the same boat and looking for suggestions

We are in the same situation. DS is almost 1 and I really want to get rid of the bottles soon. We have been letting him play with the sippy cup with diluted juice for 3 months now and he never really drinks alot from it.

A couple of weeks ago we decided to push forward since we weren't making any progress. We tried to offer formula- but he hated it. It tastes awful- I think he only takes it from the bottle because he's used to it.

Next we tried chocolate whole milk. Well so far it's going OKAY- not great. We are also slowly dropping bottle feeds and we're down to 1 at bedtime. With that bottle he only takes maybe 12oz of liquids/ day. We give him lots of watery foods like apple sauce and he's still making wet diapers though not as heavy as before.

He also started waking up around 11pm- maybe he's thirsty. Last night when he did this I gave him a little water in the sippy cup and he went back to sleep.

He definately knows how to do it - he just won't. Sometimes it comes down to who's more stubborn! LOL!

We've tried various cups etc doesn't seem to matter. So if anyone has
    suggestion would love to hear them!

Purvi & Sachin 3/14/03
    visiting from the Baby BArgains Boards

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Also in the same boat and looking for suggestions

I think that when most kids transition from the bottle to a sippy cup their liquid intake takes a dive for a week or so. As long as they are making wet diapers, I wouldn't worry about it. But for most kids, once they realize the bottle isn't coming back, they adjust and start drinking more from the sippy.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

purvi Guest

This is the first time posting on the Toddler board and was wondering do I need a separate log-in? It asked for my name and wouldn't let me use my normal BBB log-in?

Purvi & Sachin

brubeck Guest

You should be able to use your normal BB login. It is the same login for ANY of the Fields' boards.

Perhaps your problem logging in was due to the recent software update. Did you erase your cookies as was suggested?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast