emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default eating at wrong time

Help! My 3 yo DD is always asking for snacks and juice. If I give them to her, then she is not hungry at meal time! If I say no, we usually have a velcro baby while I prepare lunch or dinner. She is quite an independent spirited little girl and it is hard to distract her. I try to give healthy snacks but I am almost ready to quit juice and goldfish cold turkey! Any advice? The situation is even worse if I take her to grandma's. She has 3 glasses of juice, and 2 containers of crackers all before 11 am. I have told her to limit snacks but she does what she wants.
    Michele

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: eating at wrong time

Maybe try gradually watering down the juice until its mostly water?

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We actually tried that. She is one smart 3 year old. Knows the difference and has a temper!
    Michele

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

LOL! Yes, I wondered if that would work with an older child!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

brubeck Guest

I do give DD some snacks and juice but only a little bit in the afternoons (unless we're out... whole 'nother story, LOL). If she asks for too much or at an unusual time of day I say, "Well I don't have any juice right now, how about some milk? Hmmm... there don't seem to be any more crackers, Would you like some raisins? Chicken?" etc.

Believe it or not this works. If she refuses the alternative then I know she's not REALLY hungry. If she eats it then great, at least it's nutritious.