Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Healthy, portable snacks?

We also just discovered the cereal bars and love them (plus it's easy to just throw one in the bag and go). Earth's Best also has Crunchin' Blocks. They are a god size and seem pretty healthy. DD loves the banana ones. Here's a link http://www.earthsbest.com/products/t...chinblocks.php

Lisa

luvbeinmama Guest

My kids really like the dried cranberries (better than raisins any day!). Pretzels & fruit leathers are popular, too.

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It seems like a lot of you recommend raisins. I thought that was a no-no until after 3? I thought I read somewhere that it is a chokable food. I really am not trying to point fingers- maybe I am wrong but I am just asking for me. If it's ok for toddlers, i would be happy since I love raisins and its a quick and easy snack.
    Any info?

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b35d0802848f *December pictures

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have heard that raisins can be a choking hazard, but that if you cut them in half, the hazard is minimized. The reason that I heard (I think I heard this from the instructor at our Todder Class, but I might have read it here) is that the raisins can "swell" back up to grape size and block the airway. Apparently, if you cut it in half, that doesn't happen.

brubeck Guest

I didn't give my daughter rasins until she was 3 because I heard the same choking hazard warning. However cutting them in half is an interesting idea!

We also snack on Rice Chex and lately he really likes my cereal, Cracklin Oat Bran (affectionately called "colon blow" in my house). I don't let him have too much, for obvious reasons. I just can't wait till he asks for "colon blow" when we are out and about! :)

I also have read to avoid raisins because they are bad for the teeth. They fall in that category of sticky foods (like gummy candies) that stick to a little one's teeth, are difficult to brush off and could lead to cavities.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

By far, Justin's favorite snack is the Honey Maid Graham sticks. These are quite tasty, I must admit. We also like the Quaker Oat 'n Cereal bites. And, if you are doing a day trip, I think string cheese is fine without refrigeration. I wouldn't leave it in the diaper bag forever, though. We used to eat Kix cereal a lot when out and about, but Justin's moved on.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

Default RE: Question about the dried fruits...

I have to laugh at this because I gave Ryan raisins a few days in a row (I tore them off in 4 little pieces since he is so small) and his poop had raisin confetti for a few days. I remember calling my husband at the office to tell him how funny it looked! LOL.
    Mom to R and R

I often make "trail mix" in a little baggie with a small handful of each cereal we have in the house (usually something like Cheerios, Kix, and Chex), raisins or other dried fruit, and goldfish, or maybe Teddy Grahams... whatever we happen to have on hand. The trail mix is sort of nice because she entertains herself by picking through it to eat whichever treat she happens to want right then. It is a good one for eating in the car because it keeps her busy!

Where do you guys find the "booty" snacks you mentioned... Pirate's Booty, etc? Are they at some place like Whole Foods? Or a regular grocery store?

ann

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast