Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MinnieMouse Guest

Default RE: Best kids' meals at chain restaurants

I second Chick Fil A BUT...you need to know that they use peanut oil to fry in.

That's important to many younger kiddos who haven't had peanuts yet OR are already allergic.

Christine

COElizabeth Guest

Someone told me that many people who are sensitive to peanuts can still have peanut oil. I don't know that for a fact, but it did make me feel better about having given James their food many times!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    EDD #2, 10-30-04

I think it really depends on the person. My college BF was very allergic to peanuts in all forms, including peanut oil. Here's info from Chick-Fil-A about peanut oil and other potential allergens: http://www.chick-fil-a.com/allergen.asp
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

We just went to Bravo today and the children's menu is really extensive. There are regular kids meals and then meals for small adults. The regular meals are chicken fingers, spaghetti, ravoli, lasagna, cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza, mac & cheese, pasta with alfredo sauce and others I'm probably missing. The meals for small adults are things like a grilled chicken breast, pork chop and various other such menu items. There were various sides, including salads and fruit. On the downside, the meals were rather pricey, with most of the regular kids meals being $4.50 - $5.00. We got the spaghetti and it was essentially an adult-sized portion for half the adult price and included a drink in a nice take-home cup. The small adult meals were $7-$9. There also was a make-your-own pizza option for $6. The food quality was excellent.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went to Bennigan's recently and they seemed to have a pretty decent selection for kids. Some standard, but some better. We got Kraft Mac & Cheese because we knew DS would eat it! So having a better menu doesn't always help us! They also offered a wide variety of sides.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

22tango Guest

I had to let y'all know about the special $.99 kids meals (when purchasing an adult meal) at Boston Market. I'm not sure how long the special will last...apparently it's been going on for 2 months or so already though I only just discovered it. The mains are pretty similar to (though maybe a bit nicer than) the usual suspects: mac-n-cheese, roasted chicken drumstick, carved turkey breast, or meatloaf. Milk (our choice) or softdrink and then cornbread and one side of your choice. Or you can have 2 sides & skip the cornbread -- which is what we did. I was able to get DD some corn & veggies to go with her meatloaf. We also got a coloring activity book with crayons, a nice take-home lidded strawcup (just add a regular straw). For a meal that's less than a dollar, healthy sides, and activities to keep her busy so I could finish my own meal -- I'm SOLD!!! :D

Thanks for letting us know. That is a great deal. And, I think Boston Market provides some pretty healthy alternatives for fast food and lots of choices. However, my DS loves their cornbread of all things. We never have it at home. I have no idea how he even knew what it was or that he would like it. But, when I asked which items he wanted in the huge case of side dishes, all he pointed to was the cornbread and he devoured it like there was no tomorrow. Everytime we go there, he has to have his cornbread. (Which by the way is very messy - crumbs everywhere).

erbono Guest

We went to the Cheesecake Factory for dessert. Elizabeth didn't eat a lot for dinner at home that evening. When we sat down they brought a little plate decorated with slices of bread and banana! She ate all of it. I was so happy she got to eat something more than my sweet dessert!

Erica

erbono Guest

Oh, and I have to put a plug in for a local chain here in Austin... Chuy's. It is Elizabeth's favorite place to eat! Their kids menu has pictures with the description and she always points to the cheese enchilada. She gets a cheese enchilada, rice and beans and milk or oj. They also give a free sherbert pushup after dinner if you request it. I think it is $2.99 but might be $3.99.

Erica
    dd Elizabeth 3.15.02

amp Guest

Something else to consider...Even when we go to our fav Mexican restaurant, where the kids meals are enormous and not cheap, we just order DS a chicken soft taco off of the ala cart menu. We do the same when going to someplace like Taco Bell too. It's cheaper since DS is not eating the extras (chips, pop, etc).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast