Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: getting DD to eat red meat??

Thanks everyone for your answers, I haven't been able to log in for a bit but I hope thats fixed now.
    I think that spice may be key I've been giving her really bland stuff, and also it means we could all share as DH makes our food hot and spicy .
    Shannon I like the liverwurst idea, where are you getting it from?

Thanks

Lucy

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got it at Food Lion in the past. Check the deli counters. It is ridiculously cheap, like 99 cents a pound. Jack also will eat chicken livers, which I've gotten at Whole Foods and elsewhere. He likes them with rice. We make boxed jambalaya sometimes.

We still have to set up a playdate at some point!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 13 months and counting

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know others have said this but I thought I would chime in and say that my son will eat ground chuck made into meatloaf cooked in muffin tins--he'll eat about half a "muffin" each time. I make up about a pound of beef at a time and freeze them. I use shredded carrot, oatmeal, and unsalted canned tomato sauce (or Heinz chili sauce which is essentially ketchup) and he likes it. He will not eat plain crumbled ground beef, though, so it has to be the moisture content as well as, I think, the sweetness of the vegetables and tomato. If you'd like the recipe just let me know.

Hope that helps!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Allison,
    Can I have the recipe? Even though Colin's meat strike seems to be coming to an end, I'm still willing to try anything! Can you PM it to me?

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd like the recipe too please! Is it easier to post or PM? I tried her on meat lasagne this week, she loves veggie lasagne but she picked out the pasta and left the meat, I think its something about ground beef texture, although shes going off chicken now too, maybe its the chewiness.
    Has anyone got any good meatball recipes too?

TIA

Lucy

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Whoops, sorry I took so long!

Meatloaf muffins:

1 lb ground chuck (you can use a leaner cut)
    One to two med-large carrot grated, about 3/4c or so
    1 t worchestershire sauce
    2 T chili sauce (note: this is NOT the hot stuff, this is sold with the ketchup and is similar except a bit less sweet. You can use canned tomato sauce, plain not pasta sauce, instead, or ketchup. If you use the tomato sauce you can cut the salt.)
    Small can of musrooms, finely chopped, or about 1/2 c sauteed mushrooms finely chopped
    1/2 cup or slightly more unseasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1/2 t salt
    pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly, preferably by hand. The meatloaf should be very soft and slightly more "wet" than you might make it for yourself. If you think it's not "wet" enough, you can add a bit of milk or more tomato.

Pack into muffin tins and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350.

I have altered this recipe to add spinach and bell pepper instead of carrot, or zucchini and grated apple. Essentially you want about a cup of veggies per pound of meat, plus your flavorings. Bread crumbs and milk makes a softer, slightly milder texture if your baby perhaps objects to the stronger beef taste. This is also good for turkey meatloaf.

Allison

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2