Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: When did you quit using bibs?

My almost 3-year-old still wears a bib. In fact, he generally insists on it. I've trained him well. :) I had a hard and fast rule (as much for DH as for DS) that DS had to wear a bib whenever he dipped. DH seems to always serve him ketchup and that's a stain that's hard to get out sometimes. Anyway, now DS will ask for a bib if there's ketchup involved. :) I plan on keeping him wearing a bib until he won't.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

em_jon98 Guest

Lindsey started to refuse to wear a bib about a month or so ago. Before that, we were very consistent about using one, and she usually went and got her own before meals as part of setting the table (we hang them on the pantry door handle to dry.) Since she is usually pretty careful and not a really messy eater, we have not really fought her too much on this unless it is something really messy (pasta with red sauce, etc.)

I really wish she would still wear one, but they don't use bibs at her daycare and we are guessing that is why she is now refusing to wear one. She is so opinionated...we have to pick and choose our "battles" with her :(

vikivoly Guest

That's how Gillian is also. Sometimes when she is eating dry foods, I'll skip the bib and she'll ask for one. She's never been a real defiant, gotta do it my way kind of toddler.

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unless really messy foods are involved, we've been skipping the bib lately. Sarah is not as messy an easer as she once was, and insists on wiping her hands and mouth throughout the meal. She started resisting using the bib a few weeks ago, so we just make it a requirement for messier meals, and she is generally fine with that.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

We haven't used a bib in forever. He generally does not make a huge mess and is big into wiping his hands and mouth with his napkin.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

amp Guest

Jake just turned two and we haven't been using a bib for quite some time either. Occasionally, when we eat something really messy (spaghetti, mexican rice, etc) we'll use one, but more often than not, he pulls it off. If the food is reasonably unmessy, he does a pretty good job. He's a fairly neat eater.

raynjen Guest

Noelle still wears a bib occasionally at 3 1/2. I carry the disposable ones with us and she wears them without objections. I too have invested money in her outfits and would like them to last till she outgrows them!

Personally, I think it is rather rude of your SIL to make fun of you in front of her children (and positively obscene that she lets her children make fun of another adult). Perhaps the next time she brings it up you could say, "I am teaching my daughter good manners - what are you teaching yours?" It wasn't so long ago that it was acceptable for adults to wear their napkins tucked into their shirt collars - fashions change, but manners do NOT!

Don't doubt yourself!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
    who is three and a half, Noelle!

About 2 days after we got home with DS at 14 months old (he's adopted from China). He pulled them off and always got food all over himself even with the bib (sleeves, parts of shirt not covered, etc.) So, I just take his shirt off at every meal and most snacks. When we eat out, he just gets food on his shirt. I figure they wash, just like the bib would . . .

I'm impressed at the bib success the rest of you have had!

I'm impressed too. Martie hates them. I've come to love my laundry stain removers or if we are at home and it's really messy Martie eats without a shirt.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

netne Guest

DS is 25 months and started refusing bibs the past few weeks. I guess he decided "I'm 2, big boys don't wear bibs." I don't push it unless he's eating something really messy (like pasta with tomato sauce), and then I usually just take his shirt off if I'm worried about it getting stained. It's not worth making a battle out of it for me at mealtime.

I have a friend whose DD started refusing bibs around 18 months. I guess it just comes down to your child's temperament and your preferences. I wouldn't care what anyone else thinks. Sometimes I still bib myself if I'm eating BBQ or cracking open crab legs. :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast