Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do your toddlers eat veggies?

Martie only eats carrots, broccoli, and corn on the cob. She also eats tomatoes in ketchup form. Is this a good variety of vegetables. Impress me with your kid. What veggies do they eat? And if there are parents of older toddlers, give me hope. Did your toddler grow into a big selection of veggies?

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

Default RE: Do your toddlers eat veggies?

DS is fairly sporadic on this. He almost always eats bell peppers and onion. He usually eats potatoes, especially mashed potatoes or french fries. He sometimes eats broccoli and asparagus. He thinks it's fun to eat corn on the cob, but really doesn't wind up eating much corn.

Interestingly, DS really likes salad.

So, it's sort of hit and miss, but the hardest part is getting him to try a veggie at first. Often, if we can get past that, he likes it.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD eats cooked baby carrots, canned green beans with no salt or sugar, green bell pepper in a p-nut butter sandwich and she'll eat brocolli, cauliflower and zucchini if it's chopped up really small with melted grated cheese. Also corn on the cob cut off.

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sarah prefers raw veggies to cooked most of the time. She will usually eat bell pepper strips (orange and yellow are her favorites), cucumbers, and carrots. Often she will eat corn and sweet or regular potatoes, mashed or as fries. Everything else is hit or miss (more miss than hit, these days ). She does like the dehydrated veggies, and oddly, loves artichokes. I try to incorporate lots of veggies into things like quesadillas, pizza, omelets, and lasagna, and she eats those all pretty well. Covering things with cheese or letting her dip them in cheese also helps. She will go a day or two without touching veggies sometimes though.

I'm hoping she grows into eating more.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not unless they are fried or seriously hidden in something. DS1 has some weird texture issues and I am mortified at how long it's been since he has eaten a fruit or veggie straight. DH says he was the same way as a child and now eats anything, but I am still worried. Now DS2 is starting to be picky as well, and he eats on a totally different schedule than DS1, so I doubt it's the influence.

I am so frustrated at meal times anymore, I hardly even want to make the effort, but I keep offerring, and it continues to be refused. I did everything "right" when we introduced solids, so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

amp Guest

Well, then Martie eats more veggies than Jacob! He will only eat corn. Occasionally a pea will pass his lips, but it's rare, and he will either not eat or will spit out broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, green beans, etc.

Thank goodness he loves fruits! I know it isn't the same, but I'm just grateful I can get something healthy in the kid!

ETA: I totally forgot that the kid loves, loves, loves black olives. Whoda thunk? Anyway, they don't have any nutritional value, but hey, at least they aren't cookies, right?

hjdong Guest

Jamie eats everything (it makes up for my/his sleeping woes sometime - we don't have eating woes). Artichokes (peels them himself) to zucchini (sp?). He eats things I don't eat.

My only suggestion that may be helpful is that he will refuse something one day, only to eat it the next. Except for hot sauce, we never say "You don't like that" when he asks for something,e ven if he didn't eat it the last time.

Much like his sleeping problems, however, I would say this is more personality than anything I did or didn't do.

ETA: My ped. told me that at this age, they get the same nutrition whether they eat fruits or veggies, so don't stress out over forcing the veggies. It must be a common problem, because she shared without asking about his eating habits.

"I am so frustrated at meal times anymore, I hardly even want to make the effort, but I keep offerring, and it continues to be refused. I did everything "right" when we introduced solids, so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Me too. It's very frusterating. When I was pregnant I swore that my child would eat lots of healthy things.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

Ryan loves peas! He has now transitioned his love of frozen peas to the dried peas from Whole Foods.

He eats the occasional piece of broccoli and corn. Will eat anything fried (okra, zucchini...) too!

He won't touch any type of mashed potato or sweet potato either and of course will only eat french fries with gobs of ketchup.
    Mom to R and R

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Alex loves raw peppers (green, red, and yellow). He also likes raw carrots, corn, green beans, and asparagus. Honestly, he would probably eat more veggies, but the problem is that *I* don't really like veggies so I don't serve enough variety of them. So I don't need to work on him, I need to work on me.:o

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast