Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Do your toddlers eat veggies?

Just had to say, same here. DS eats all sorts of vegetables happily, but is a lousy sleeper.

He frequently eats congee (rice soup) for breakfast with carrots, peas, green beans, lima beans and corn in it. And he eats plain cooked broccoli like there's no tomorrow. He also eats potatoes and sweet potatoes in various forms. Cooked carrots are a hit--I just mircowave the baby carrots with a little water. And he'll go for cauliflower (how do you spell that?) too. He'll also eat asparagus and zuchini. He wasn't too fond of the raw tomato I gave him, but he loves pizza so he gets some that way.

Definitely not anything I did though. DS is adopted and came home at 14 months. He's eaten veggies like this the whole time he's been home--he's almost 2.

DS's favorite is zuchinni and squash. Brocolli used to be a big hit too, but is less so these days. Depending on how it is prepared, DS will also eat carrots, cucumbers, mushrooms, onions, peas, and corn. He's a big fan of tomato sauce, but not tomatos. He used to love sweet potatoes, but they're on the outs too. He still eats white potatoes.

I'm glad to hear that they get the same nutrition from fruits and vegetables. DS loves fruits and I defintely find it easier to give him a greater variety of fruits than vegetables.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Found a recipe for oven fried vegetables. Maybe this would work?
    OVEN FRIED VEGETABLES

1 c. seasoned dry bread crumbs
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    1 tbsp. water
    1 zucchini, cut into 1/2 x 2 inch sticks
    2 c. cauliflower florets
    1 c. broccoli florets
    1 pt. cherry tomatoes

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In small bow combine bread crumbs with oil. Stir in Parmesan cheese. In another bowl lightly beat together egg and water. Dip zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli into egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then coat with bread crumbs. Place coated vegetables on nonstick baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until crust is crisp and vegetables tender. Place on serving platter with cherry tomatoes and serve with your favorite dip.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1950,...237193,00.html

lizamann Guest

Nora ate spinach once. And broccoli once. She even said, "more broccoli!" But that's it. I'm not kidding.

She eats a lot of dried seaweed, the only green thing she'll touch. But they taste more like chips then vegetables anyway.

And she'll dip baby carrots into hummus, but never eats the carrot. So I have in my own twisted way placed hummus in the vegetable category, and offer her lots of it.

The thing that really gets me is that she doesn't like fruit, either, except for bananas. She often wants to try it, but spits it right out. Spits out the fruit chunks in yogurt.

Whoever said that it takes 20-30 introductions before a kid eats new foods didn't know my dd. She gets offered veggies and fruits all the time, and is never interested except for the above 2 times.

I've decided to absolutely not worry about, and just keep offering her bits of what I'm eating. I hope that eventually she comes around, mostly because they are just so yummy and I feel bad to have her missing out!

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS will eat corn, broccoli and carrots easily. Peas used to be a favorite, but for some reason they're not popular anymore. He will occasionally eat cauliflower. He keeps trying asparagus but spits it out (at least 10 times). No go on green beans, either. I thought green beans were supposed to be easy! He will eat any bean you put in front of him as long as they're not green.

He will eat spinach if it's cooked in lasagna. He loves sweet potatoes and grape tomatoes but won't eat any other tomato, if you don't count ketchup and pasta sauce.

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kid loves black olives too--the California kind that you get in a can!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

I don't care about Martie I want some oven fried vegetables myself!

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't think my guy counts as 'older', because he's about 20 months old, but I'm going to post anyway.

He'll eat *most* veggies. He likes squash, spinach, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, and avacado. However, he can't deal with them unless they're steamed and mushed up. Not into a fine paste, but into sort of a chunky consistency.

He will *not* eat onions, tomatoes, or lettuce. In fact, if you feed them to him, he'll take them out of his mouth and hand them back to you.

I figure as long as he's getting one green veggie and one orange veggie per days, it's all good, you know?
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Someone on another board I frequent posted this recipe I'm going to give a try using Bisquick:

use an 8x8 pan, but have also halved the recipe and used a small corningware dish. Takes 20-35 minutes to cook through, depending on the size dish you use.

1 cup Bisquick
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup oil
    Big Handful Chopped Veggie (see below)
    Big Handful Shredded Cheese (see below)

Mix altogether and put in pan (sprayed with cooking spray and cook at 350.

I have used Zucchini with Mozzarella cheese as well as steamed broccoli with Cheddar cheese.

I think I'll try that other recipe posted above. My ds won't touch a vegetable. Thank goodness for multi-vitamins!

Cheryl
    ds-4/21/03

Sonia-

I think Martie's variety is pretty decent given they are all different colors.

Sydney is very wishy washy about what she eats. There really isn't a lot that she absolutely won't eat; she's just either in the mood or not. Like she'll eat brocolli one day like it's going out of style and the next time she won't touch as if it has already gone out of style. But, we've started holding back on giving seconds until the entire plate is clean. For example, last night we had pasta and brocolli and Sydney looooves pasta. So we put a little pasta and brocolli on her plate. She whined about the brocolli so I told her to put it on the side of her tray, as opposed to on the floor. Then when she finished all of her pasta and asked for more, I told her she had to finish the brocolii before she got more pasta and she did.

Anyway, holding off on the stuff she wants until she eats what she thinks she doesn't want seems to work for us a lot of the time.

Great, i've jinxed myself.

Vivian
    Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
    www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast