Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    netne Guest

Default RE: 17 Month Old Refuses Sippy Cup

I was going to say, try the straw cup. Then I saw you have already done that. The way my DS started using a straw cup was kind of by accident, but he was younger than 17 months so maybe your DS could get the hang of it. I gave him a straw cup with water in it to play with in the jogging stroller when I was out jogging one day. By the time we got home he had figured it out. Maybe give him a straw cup with something yummy in it to "play" with when you aren't so worried about how much he's actually drinking.

Good luck!

Default RE: 19 Month Old Refuses Sippy Cup

Sounds to me as though your DS isn't ready to let go of his bottles! Not that I advocate giving in to every whim, but I think you may be right that he will just do it when he's ready. Many peds don't push getting rid of the bottle until 2. So why not give it a rest, keep offering sippys with tempting fluids and see what happens. I often find that when I REALLY want DS to do something, he's not interested but later will decide on his own that it's what he wants.

Good luck!
    Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04

proggoddess Guest

I'm late to this game, but for us, DD really liked the disposeable cups only. She wouldn't touch the Playtex, Avent, Nuby.... Too heavy to hold, I think.

Anyway, she would only drink juice out of it, no milk, until we bought strawberry milk. This was at 15 months. Now at 18 months, she'll drink plain milk or juice.

To get rid of the bottle, we didn't quite go cold turkey, but we did stop offering milk in the bottle, water only. Oooh, she hated that!

At night, if DD asks for her "baba" before bed, we give her a sippy of water. She takes one sip and decides it's not worth it. She'll hand it back to us and go back to sleep.

Just keep offering the sippy to your DS consistently, but unemotionally and he'll come around. If you make a big deal about it or just give up, nothing will happen.

JustMare Guest

Thanks for the idea of Strawberry milk. We tried chocolate and he wasn't that impressed with it as we expected him to be.

I have found that he does prefer the Munchkin Disposable cups. He's been drinking water out of them daily. This is HUGE progress for us. At least I found his cup of choice.

I'm determined to get him off this bottle by 2 years old. He's actually liking the cup lately. Wanting the cup over the bottle.

I guess for him slow and steady is the way to go.

I'm going to try strawberry milk now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2