Default My son hates fresh fruits and vegetable of ANY kind!

My DS, who turned three last month, has NEVER wanted to eat any fresh fruit or vegetables, even as a baby. He'll consume smashed fruits or vegetables in a smoothie, eat dried mangos (that's it), applesauce or vegetable/fruit baby foods, but will not even attempt to eat anything that's different from what he's comfortable with eating.

It's so frustrating. I've read to give children a small piece of fruit and vegetables and gradually increase the amount over time in order to get them used to eating it, but he won't attempt even one small bite. Today I put one minced small baby carrot and one very, very small broccoli (both steamed so they were mushy) inside a quesadilla, and he nearly threw up when he took a tiny, tiny bite. Just the look of anything different will set him off. I've been accomodating, but now I'm at the point where I'm ready to tell him that if he doesn't eat what's in front of him, he can just go hungry until he's ready to try.

I know that kids are picky at this stage, but he's been like this his whole life.

Any suggestions?

Jeanette
    (formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
    DS Born Valentine's Day

Default RE: My son hates fresh fruits and vegetable of ANY kind!

Jeanette,
    That's a tough one. My soon to be three year old only likes certain veggies but will usually try almost anything once.

I don't know how you feel about reward systems for desired behavior? We use a sticker chart for potty training and it worked great. Maybe a similar type of chart where he earns stickers for eating small bites? The end reward does not have to be a toy it could be going to a movie or to the park.

HTH,
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

Drews Mom Guest

Have you tried Veggie Bootie or Fruit Bootie? It's a snack food but with vitamins. How about edamame? My son loves to pop his own beans out of their shells so it is fun for him (plus the kids love the salted ones).

We take frozen blueberries and put them in hot oatmeal. The oatmeal turns purple, cools off and my son thinks it's really cool.

How about fruit pizza on an english muffin using cream cheese as the base?

My doctor recommended mashing vegetables and putting them in pasta sauce. Your son will never know. Same with baking zucchini or carrot muffins (you can hide yogurt and applesauce in the muffins also).

Just some thoughts - good luck!

chiqanita Guest

Hi Jeanette
    I just posted a question in the Baby Bargains Feeding Baby forum about something called Juices Plus. Our pedi just suggested we try this for DS who doesn't like to eat veggies. He's been putting them in his ears and nose but not in his mouth. He gags and spits out the veggies I hide in quesadillas and grilled cheeses. I haven't tried Juices Plus just yet...waiting a few days since DS just had a vaccination...don't want to confuse reactions.

I usually use fruit to hide or introduce a new food item...works a lot of the time.

Anyway, I'm going to try the adult version because I am not a fruit eater.

Good luck!

BTW I'm a Vday baby, just like your DS...did he arrive in a heart shaped box, too? ;)

Thanks so much for everyone's responses so far.

Chiqanita: Someone else had suggested Juices Plus to me and I think I will definitely look into it. BTW, Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was wonderful. :)

Drews Mom: I've never heard of the Veggie Bootie or Fruit Bootie. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the recommendation and other food suggestions.

Michelle: DS does respond well to stickers. We're also doing it for potty training, so we'll try it for food too.

We had our three year doctor's appointment and I brought it up with our new pediatrician (our old ped moved on to Oncology...we miss her). Our new ped didn't seemed to be too concerned about it. Just gave the suggestions that I'm already doing, so new info there.

I guess I'll keep at it. And if more suggestions are out there, please post!

Thanks again everyone!

Jeanette
    (formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
    DS Born Valentine's Day