Default How to teach toddler to use fork/spoon?

My soon-to-be 2 yo doesn't really use a spoon much to eat. She prefers eating with her hands as she can get more food in her mouth. I really would like her to eat more with a fork and spoon. How do you teach your child to eat with a spoon instead of their hands? She just seems to get frustrated by the way I am helping her now. Any advice would be SO helpful. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: How to teach toddler to use fork/spoon?

I always just provided them at every meal and let ds choose for himself. Mayb I should have pushed it more but it seems to have worked out.

He is 4.5 and still likes to use his fingers for eating but if he has to use a sppon or a fork for something (like yogurt or applesauce) he does great. I always worried that he wouldn't be able to do it since he didn't practice much.

You could start serving food that she can only eat with utensils for a few days. :)

Beth

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: How to teach toddler to use fork/spoon?

I would give her a spoon at every meal and see what she does with it. It's something you just have to let them do on their own sometimes, even if its a messy proposition. :)

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller