Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    C&E's Mom Guest

Default RE: I'll tell you what is fishy (m)

The information regarding the illegality of using the Grow with Me seats from Canada was enlightening. Does anyone know what the illegality really means (aside from the fact the it IS illegal)? Is there any danger of any type to the child? I understand that the seats are certified for use in Canada, not the US, but it appears that these are the exact same seats that we would buy in the States if they were available. We have been looking for MONTHS and have not found any seat that comes close to the Grow With Me in terms of features, fit and safety, so I would be thrilled to be able to obtain the Grow With Me , even at an inflated price off the auction boards. Any thoughts on the illegality issue are appreciated. :)

KathyO Guest

Default RE: I'll tell you what is fishy (m)

I suggest you re-post this question to the Baby Bargains board, in the car seat forum. Toby McAdams, the car seat technician who monitors that forum, can give you the exact legal implications. She can possibly also recommend one or two of the new crop of toddler/booster seats that have come out this year - some of them look fairly promising in the areas you mention.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it (go with an illegal Canadian seat), but as a woman who is going past the arbitrary Canadian rear-facing limit (20lbs) on her Britax seat, I can't throw stones!

KathyO

P.S. - If you absolutely insist on going ahead with this (and I reiterate that I don't think it's a good idea), drop me a message here and I'll see if I can obtain one at retail price for you, and we can work out a mailing arrangement. I refuse to help enrich the scalpers on eBay on this one.

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I can tell you...

If you are caught using an 'illegal' seat in either country, you can be heavily fined, demerit points, etc. But the insurance company can refuse any liability should you be in an accident.

Of course, the more important issue is the safety of the child when the carseat is not used as designed, tested and approved. In this case, the seat happens to be identical in both countries and passed both standards. But for example, the Century booster/carseat are not the same and have a higher weight limit for use with the 5 point harness in Canada. The other example, tether system has been law in Canada for years, whereas it is recommended in the US. Only in recent years that seats are manufactured with tether anchors for use in the US, as well as Canada.

If you insist on going this course, just make sure you know all the legal consequences, as well as possible technical differences. Hope that helps.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

Dawn Guest

Default RE: Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat

I have the same problem, a two year old that is 40 lbs. There is a 5 point harness from Britax that goes up to 80 lbs. It is the Britax Super Elite. Demand is high, not available until April. To view go to Britaxusa.com

tobymc Guest

Default RE: Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Super Elite. Since your child is not even 3, let alone 3 /12 to 4, you really need the 5 point harness, and the Super Elite is just about the only seat available now to serve that need (there was the FP Futura, but it has been discontinued).

Even though the SE is not very available in stores yet, a number of stores are getting shipments, faster now that Britax has its second "tool" up and running. I recommend calling several stores and getting on waiting lists. Most of the stores that are getting the seat are able to fill them in a few weeks now.

If you need help finding a store that is taking orders, hop on over to http://boards2.parentsplace.com/cgi-bin/boards/carseats. Lots of folks got on a lot of waiting lists, and now are getting calls.

Toby

joyjoy Guest

Default RE: Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat- Britax seat

Do you think the Britax SE is the best seat? Do you have any other recomendations?

Does anybody know whether the Britax SE is compatable with the Dodge Grand Caravan 2nd row (2 person) bench seat? Would there be enough room to put another car seat next to it?

Thanks for your help!

tobymc Guest

Default RE: Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat- Britax seat

As I said, if your child is less than say 3 1/2, and already over 40 pounds, I think the Super Elite is a great choice.

If your child is over say 3 1/2, and still 35 pounds or less, you can go with a "combo" seat like the Evenflo Apollo, Evnflo Express, the Graco CarGo (choose one with a front adjuster), the Century Breverra Ascend, or the Century Next Step DX.

Check the database for the Grand Caravan (www.carseatdata.org) and see if I've got anything listed. Or come by the PP carseat board (link listed above) and ask. Lots of folks there have the seat.

Toby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2