Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    joyjoy Guest

Default Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat

After reading Consumer Reports' evaluation of booster seats, I would really like to buy a Fisher-Price Grow With Me booster seat. According to Fisher-Price, the seat was discontinued in May 2001. Does anyone know where I could still buy a brand new seat other than at ridiculously priced auction sites like ebay. (I checked ebay today and the seller wanted $160.00 for a new seat plus $30.00 shipping).

If not, does anyone have any other recommendations for toddler booster seats?

Thanks for your help

Default RE: Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat

I have the same problem! My daughter is 3.7 years old, 39 inches, but only 31 pounds! The advice is to keep them in a 5-point harnessed booster until they're 40 pounds, but her shoulders are at the top harness slots of her Britax Roundabout. (Nearly outgrown).

I bought it, per the advice of the Fields in Baby Bargains. I've beeen really happy with it, but NOW WHAT ? She's tall enough for a booster seat, but too light. I'm chewing my nails to the bone over this safety issue. We've already been in one really bad accident. The Police and paramedics said it was a miracle she wasn't hurt, and credited it to the right car seat being properly installed!

There doesn't seem to be any 5-point harness seat that will fit her. There's like a year-long waiting list for the Britax Super Elite, which even then won't fit all cars.

Alan, Denise, any suggestions? HELPPPPP!!!!
    Strollerqueen

joyjoy Guest

Default RE: Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat- Something's fishy

Something fishy is going on.

I just checked ebay again. Now there are more seats still in the box for sale. They continue to go for a high price. Most of the sellers are from Canada. Where are they getting these from? Is there a store still selling them. Does anyone know?

I don't know where they're getting them from, but I do know that, unfortunately, it is illegal to use them! (Because they're from another country; not my opinion, just the fact.):'( :-( x( :(
    Strollerqueen

kathyo Guest

The Grow With Me's are still being sold at The Bay in Canada, which is the department store chain that the old Hudson's Bay Company became.

Unfortunately, yes, they're illegal to use in the States, or else I'd buy one for you and mail it! The issue is legal rather than structural - it's the EXACT SAME SEAT, but the labels certify it for Canadian standards, and the instructions conform to Canadian regulations (e.g. the tethers are mandatory for us.)

As well, the weight allowances are frequently different for Canadian seats, because (A) we do have to tether them, so there's no non-tethered weight regulation, and (B) the allowances reflect what our government was testing for when they certified the seat, rather than its actual limitations. For example, this means that your Britax Roundabout only goes to 20lbs rear-facing up here, even though (as far as I can tell) the two countries perform nearly identical crash tests, to identical standards, using (I'm pretty sure, although my research isn't finished yet) identical dummies.

So much for that Free Trade thing, eh?

KathyO

Joyjoy Guest

Thanks for the info. The Bay does sell it for about $113 US Dollars. It's too bad that US residents can't use Canadian seats. I know that Canada's safety regulations are usually stricter that the US. Oh well, I guess I'll get a Century seat.

cmfurness Guest

After mounds of research on combo seats, I am getting the Century Next Step MX or DX because my 2.5 year old is less than thirty pounds and her little sister needs her Britax RA. I am not thrilled with it. I was trying it out at BRU - the front harness adjuster will never be as nice as the Britax RA but I am afraid I do not have a choice.

Have you thought of any other options?

Meredith

I just bought and installed the Evenflo APollo. I'm pretty happy with it, and so is my DD. It was quite easy to install and adjust the straps, plus it has EPS foam, like my Britax did.:) :o :7 :-) :D }>
    Strollerqueen

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I'll tell you what is fishy (m)

All those FP seats on ebay are mostly from Canada (if not all). They are perfectly new in boxes, never been used, etc. They are also the exact same seat as those made in the US, except they are only certified for use in Canada only (as tests are different in both countries). This makes them illegal to use in the US (as it would a US-certified seat used in Canada).

I checked the prices of some of those seats on ebay and am disgustingly appalled. I can get the same seats in a department store without any discount in Canadian dollars (which equals 0.6USD) for the same price (and most often less) than what they are asking as the starting bid on ebay.

If I am not ethical, I could really make some quick bucks. But, a regular mom/dad might not know about the legality (or non there of) the use of non-US certified seats in the US.

I am appalled at these people who are taking advantage of the high-demand and short-supply of these FP seats in the US and try to make a few quick bucks. These seats are still available in many Canadian stores. They are not even gray-market items. They are legit seats, but unfortunately only in Canada.

There is my 2 cents from a digusted Canadian mom.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

joyjoy Guest

Default RE: I'll tell you what is fishy (m)

Thanks for your input. I felt the same way about the situation on ebay. I'm glad I checked into the car seat further to find out the true value of the seat and the legal issues surrounding it. I guess our shopping motto should always be "BUYER BEWARE."

Thanks again from an American mom!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast