starfish1995 Guest

Default booster seat confusion

What would be my best bet for a booster seat for my 3.5 year old son who is only 34 pounds but is 41.5 inches tall? I think he has outgrown his convertible Evenlo Medallion carseat by height but not by weight. He still does like to sleep in the car especially for long trips, so the comfort of a booster seat is a top priority. A cup holder would be a nice plus too. Thank you for your recommendations.

tobymc Guest

Default RE: booster seat confusion

I think my top pick would be the Evenflo Apollo. The weight limit with harness is the same as your Medallion (40 pounds) but the top harness slot is much higher, so he should fit all the way to the weight limit.

The Apollo has some nice extras, and folks seem to be liking it.

The other choices are the Evenflo Express, the Graco CarGos (choose one with a front harness adjuster), the Century Berverra Ascend or the Century Next Step DX.

Toby

starfish1995 Guest

Thank you Toby, I do appreciate it. Would the Apollo be the most comfortable of the ones you mentioned? Also, what about that new Cosco seat?

tobymc Guest

The Apollo has the Comfort Touch padding, which seems very soft. I've heard from one mom that her child didn't sleep well it in, but others say that it has great sleeping support.

I don't know about the new Cosco boooster. It is called the Cosco Summit or the Safey 1st Vantage Point. I have not yet heard if it has the higher harness slots that the other boosters have, or the lower ones (same height as a convertible) that the other Cosco booster and the Alpha Omega have. This is very important. Also, so far folks are frustrated that the tether comes separately and you have to thread it on, and it hard to adjust (like all Cosco tethers), and are finding the straps very twisty. So I'm not recommending it until I hear more good reviews.

I'd definitely suggest visiting a BRU or baby specialty store and trying the Apollo and a few of the others I listed.

Toby

starfish1995 Guest

Toby,

Thanks again. Sorry to belabor this, but would you still recommend the Apollo over the new Komfort Kruiser or the really expensive one by Baby Trend? I am going to try to see if I can look at an Apollo today in poerson, but don't want to buy it until I know this is the best one.

Thanks again,

Beth

tobymc Guest

I *would* recommend a harnessed seat over a belt positioning booster. My son is also 3 1/2, and is riding in a belt positioning booster, but that is only because he is over 40 pounds (and boy was that hard for me!). My son has also ridden in the FP Futura (before I had to send ours back to FP) and in the Britax Laptop.

Anyway, your son has 6 or so pounds of time left in a harnessed seat. I think that he will be somewhat better protected by the 5 point harness and you'll be more comfortable with that system.

I guess my point is that I am not totally against 3 1/2 year olds in bpb seats. My son is doing surprisingly well in one. I just do prefer to see kids stay in harnessed seats all the way to 40 pounds, and one day when there are lots of options of harnessed seats that go past 40 pounds, until age 5 or so for all kids.

The downside of harnessed seats is that many of them are *not* as comfortable for children when they get to bpb mode. I haven't heard much about the Apollo, but the extra padding on it should really help.

If you do decide to go with a bpb seat, I'll be happy to give you a run down on the different models out there.

Toby