Stacey Guest

Default Another question re: large toddler!

My son is 23 months, and is around 37 inches tall and weighs around 37 or 38 pounds. So, I too am looking for a booster. He has been in the Britax Roundabout (since birth) and we love it! It sounds like you recommend that kids stay in a 5-point harness until age 4 -- why is that? You had previously recommended the Britax Marathon or Britax Husky/SuperElite for large toddlers. What about the new Graco TurboBooster? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We'll probably buy two - one for each car. Thanks.

tobymc Guest

Default RE: Another question re: large toddler!

I think that kids under age 3 at the youngest are just not ready for regular boosters. Their bodies are more fragile than older kids. I like the way that the harness spreads the crash forces over both sides of their bodies evenly. I like the way it holds the kid in the right spot. With the booster, you are depending on the child to stay in position.

I'd like to see kids stay in harnesses until age 4-5. But right now, with the exception of some of the new "special" seats that really allow that, the standard seats don't cut it for our largest young ones.

The other post today had two children that will get 5 or more pounds of time in a combo seat. That might take them until they are a full 3 or 3 1/2 years old. Your child is closer to 40 pounds, and is not even 2 yet. Now, some kids bulk up early, then don't gain another pound for a year (I know one like that, he was just under 40 pounds from age 2 to 3). But it is hard to count on.

So for your child, I'd recommend the Marathon or Husky. Either will work until your child is 4, maybe even 5 (certainly the Husky will last this long, but it is so big).

If you can't afford two of these seats, consider getting one for your primary car, then using the booster (less recommended, less protection at his age) for the seldom used car, if you have one.

Stacey Guest

Thanks for your reply. We purchased the Husky, but it is HUGE. What is the difference between the Husky and the Marathon, and which do you recommend when? We also have a 3 month old, so whatever seat we ultimately pick will get lots of use. Thanks!

Rsklausner Guest

Get the Marathon instead. The Husky is just way too huge. I take a 45lb 2 year old in my carpool and he rides comfortably and safely in the Marathon. I put my 38lb 4 year old in it for trips. For your second car I'd recommend the Britax Laptop (no longer in production because it can't meet LATCH requirements). It is wonderful for large young ones and should cost you less than $60. It may be hard to find but try Right Start or Zany Brainy stores. Also, it only weighs 4lbs! I think it is safe for kids 30-60 lbs.

Stacey Guest

Just to close the loop - we purchased the Britax HUSKY, but it didn't fit in our SUV (a Toyota Highlander)! The seat belt goes around the front, through the back and that back out the front and around to be fastened -- and the seat belt was too short... argh! So, we are on a waitlist to get a Marathon instead.

The Britax Laptop ins't available anywhere that I could find. Any suggestions on a good seat for the less-used car? My son is 2 yrs, 4 months, weighs almost 40 pounds and is around 38 inches tall.

Thanks!!

gravymommy3 Guest

They have revised the beltpath for the Huskey as long as it is used with a tether. If you have not yet gotten your Marathon, you might reconsider trying the Husky again.

Stacey Geer Guest

Default RE: Final question re: large toddler!

Four our 42 inch two-year old, we ended up with the Britax Marathon and it seems to be working fine. I'll note that we originally purchased the Husky, but it wouldn't fit into our Toyota Highlander because the seatbelts were too short, and a seatbelt extender would have put the buckle where my son could reach it.

QUESTION -- Now I am looking for recommendations for the second car, which my son spends far less time in. I would prefer not to spend the money on another Marathon, so I am wondering if there is a Booster that would be recommended (albeit grudgingly I understand) for a younger child. I have heard good things about the Graco Turbobooster and the Britax Star Rider. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Default RE: Final question re: large toddler!

We have the Graco TurboBooster for our almost 3 year old DS as a second seat -- it is used less than once a month. We use a Britax Super Elite as our primary seat since my DS is very tall for his age and grew out of his RA before the Marathon was readily available.

The biggest problem we have is that DS can reach the seat belt and unbuckle it. We have to constantly remind him not to touch it when he rides in the TurboBooster. Since we know that he does this, we keep a close eye on him and only use this seat when it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, he does ok stiing up like he's supposed to. The Britax StarRiser was my first choice, but for the price, I think the TurboBooster is worth it, especially for a second seat.

Sarah....