Stacy Guest

Default New Booster seat

I have a very big 5 month old that will soon outgrow his carseat and will need to be put into his brothers Britax Roundabout. I am looking for suggestions as to what booster to get for my small (about 30 lb) 3 year old.

Thanks!

Rebecca Guest

Default RE: New Booster seat

I wouldn't get a booster seat--I just don't think that they are as safe as 5pt seats. I think people should only get them when their child is too heavy or too tall for a 5pt carseat. We have the Britax Marathon and we really like it. You could also consider buying another Roundabout. I've seen the ones without LATCH for less than $150.

CPSDarren Guest

At 3 years and 30 pounds, the most economical choice is probably a combination or "combo" booster seat. This is the type that has an internal 5-point harness that goes to 40 pounds, and then converts to a booster beyond 40 pounds. These include models like the Century NextStep, Graco Cargo, Evenflo Express, Cosco Summit, etc. One model, the Safety Baby Airway, has a 50 pound harness limit.

The Britax Marathon and Husky are more expensive and do not convert to boosters, but they do have 65 and 80 pound harness limits, respectively.

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org
    DuPage County SAFE KIDS

Stacy Guest

Thanks,

Yes, that's what I'm looking for a "combo" booster seat. Is there one that's the best of that list?

Stacy

CPSDarren Guest

Not really- used properly, they can all be very safe:-) They mostly vary by convenience features, so a lot of it varies with personal preference. Of course, some of these features may allow you to use them correctly easier than seats without those features... Here are some recommendations from other technicians/advocates that may help you:

http://user.mc.net/~carseat/carseats.html#comb .

http://www.geocities.com/carseatinfo...tm#Combination Seats

http://www.carseatdata.org/combo.html

Baby Bargains also has a very nice Booster Seat special report for $4.95 available on their website, or you can just buy their new Toddler bargains book which I think has the same material.

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org
    DuPage County SAFE KIDS

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would say to look into the Airway.... go to Burlington Coat Factory website .... it's 99 dollars and you will be able to use the 5 point harness till your child is 50lbs rather than the usual 40lbs! Children are safer in a 5 point harness than in a regular seatbelt using the belt positioner! Good Luck!

~Tondi