Dawne Guest

Default What are the best seats for my 18month 31

I need to get my daughter in a better car seat and was wondering what are the ones that anyone recommends? I will be taking it on an airline also. I have some pretty old seats that I think are not airline approved. They have the bar that comes over her head. I don't know how safe these really are? Opinions greatly appreciated...

Dawn

Default RE: What are the best seats for my 18month 31

Seats generally expire after 6 years (due to plastic breakdown, as well as advances in safety standards and labeling), so if yours are approaching that, or if you got them used, that would be the biggest reason to dispose of them properly (take them apart so that no one would even begin to recognize they are a seat...or at least put them in a a black trashbag so no one can see them and re-use them). If it's not that old, and you have all the parts and manual and are using it correctly, then it's not UNsafe, but a 5-pt harness would still be a slightly safER option.
    Here's a page discussing that:
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/fivepointshield.aspx (there's also good information about flying with car seats on that site)

If she's already forward facing, then you could look at either a Convertible seat or a Combo seat (a convertible could be used rearfacing later for a new baby, and it might also provide a little more comfort and support, since she's so young (It will last longer than you think--up to 2-4 years, in fact-, so don't rush her into a Combo seat too soon if you find you don't absolutely love one).

Here are some seats in both of those categories that are generally well-liked, in every budget range http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html
    The more expensive ones aren't necessarily safer, just much easier to use properly in general, and more padded...but they are all safe when used correctly (and they all have a tiny sentence in red lettering on a label on the side that says, "this seat is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft" :) )

Hope that helps! Ask any other questions you need to to make sure you get the right seat :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Karen NJ Guest

Default RE: What are the best seats for my 18month 31

I've used the Britax Roundabout with my DD since she was 3 months old. She outgrew the carrier pretty quickly!

This seat has been on at least 4 round trips from NY to CA and has been ok to put on the plane. I say ok since I was travelling alone with DD and I had to install the seat myself (while baby was in a Baby Bjorn, or held by a flight attendant, or now, sitting/standing in the next seat). When RF, the airplane seat buckle always ended up right in the middle of the seat where DD was sitting so I had to fudge the belts to move it to the side. Also now that she's FF, I have to put in a half twist on the buckle side so I can get the belt undone! If I don't, the buckle release ends up tight against the back of the seat and I have a really tough time getting the seat out - especially if DD is asleep. The only caveat is that the RA sits pretty high on the plane seat so the lap trays don't work for her. Also, now that she's bigger, there isn't very much room between the RA and the seat in front and when the passenger in front reclines, she gets squashed.

Overall I've been happy with this seat. DD, just turned 2, has been able to travel comfortably for about 1.5 years now and is just starting to outgrow it so we're starting the car seat hunt again. She always looks comfortable in the RA both in it's spaciousness and height. Good luck!