mkkrum Guest

Default Auto Insurance and Car Seats--Will they replace after accident?

(posted to BBB boards, too)

Just an FYI after getting burned myself. . .

Minor car accident a while back. My Britax RA was unoccupied, but in the back seat of the car when I was rear-ended (I was alone). The accident caused no injuries, but caused $2500 worth of damage to my car. After reading rec's on the internet and asking several car seat safety techs, the consensus CLEARLY indicated I should replace the carseat. State Farm (insurer of both vehicles--mine and the at-fault party) will NOT replace the seat unless there is visible damage. They can't certify that it ISN'T damaged, but won't replace it if they can't see visible damage. I tried showing them documentation from reputable organizations (Consumer's Union, manufacturers, letters from car seat techs, carseatdata.org, Safety Belt Safe USA, etc.) to no avail.

We are in Ohio, so the state isn't involved (CA is another story).

Fortunately, DS is ready to move up to a combo harness/booster so we aren't out another $200, just $80. I'm still annoyed though! He was fine and happy in his RA until this idiot rear-ended me and now we have to get a new seat.

I understand that both Progressive and Nationwide replace seats involved in accidents. You might want to check with your own insurance company in your state.

temeryintx Guest

Default RE: Auto Insurance and Car Seats--Will they replace after accident?

We live in Texas and in June of 2001 We were also rear-ended. State Farm our insurer did cover a replacement seat. (The seat was occupied so I don't know if that made a difference) I was told to submit a copy of the car seat manual page regarding replacement with the receipt for a new seat. We received our check a coupke weeks later. Hope this helps.

John Thomas Guest

So the moral of this story is to hit the carseat with a hammer if you are in an accident ;O Hope you get it all worked out!

Amy Weeks Guest

My husband was just rear-ended with our 23 month ds in the car in his Britax RA. We worked directly with the other driver's insurance company, which was Nationwide and they have been great! I replaced the car seat, gave them the old one, and they cut me a check on the spot. There was no visible damage to the car seat, but $2500 worth of damage to our car and ds was in it at the time of the accident. In any case, I'm glad that they replaced it so easily for me since Britax isn't cheap!

ak_becky_book Guest

Another thing to consider (ecspecially since you could go to a booster), you can mail it back to Britax. They will evaluate it and replace it if it needs replacing (for free). I would check thier website and maybe call customer service, but I remember that was part of the reason I bought a Britax (and why the box is flattened underneath a bed at home).

Good luck and sorry about the accident.
    Rebecca
    Mom to Samantha
    12/1/02