Kathleen Guest

Default LATCH confusion...

When reading online about the Britax Marathon it says to use the LATCH for children under 48 lbs. Over 48 lbs, use the seatbelt. So, if the child is heavier than 48 lbs the LATCH should not be anchored? I am confusted - it seems it would always be safer.

KC

DagnyT Guest

Default RE: LATCH confusion...

Hello. I think it means not to use the latch pieces that fit into the seat (use the lap and shoulder belt instead) but does not contraindicate the use of the teather. I have an older vehicle, no LATCH, and still use the anchor even though the seat is attached with the vehicle seat belt.

MIM

Default RE: LATCH confusion...

It probably wouldn't actually hurt to use both the LATCH and the seatbelt after your child is 48 pounds, but it hasn't been tested, so we don't know.
    The main issue is that 48 pounds is what the government mandated well before there were ever seats that went to 65 or 80 pounds....they just weren't thinking real far ahead here, and thought 48 pounds would be more than enough. So seats that go over that have to be installed with the seatbelt instead, which is designed to hold a 300 pound man, and can easily hold a child in a car seat.
    DO leave it top tethered, of course, even if just using the seatbelt.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx