Thread: Evenflo Apollo

erikadawn Guest

Default Evenflo Apollo

Hi. The original version of Toddler Bargains recommended the Evenflo Apollo. I have not been able to find it online. Has it been discontinued? Does anyone have experience with or advice on this seat? I like that it has a 5 point harness up to 40 lbs. (I don't think that the Graco TurboBooster does.) Thanks for any advice.

Default RE: Evenflo Apollo

Evenflo changes seat models like the rest of us change underwear, lol...The Apollo was replaced by the Comet, which is now discontinued, too.
    What age and weight child do you have, and what's your budget? There's probably another good seat out there for you :)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

erikadawn Guest

Julie, thanks for the info. My son will be 3 in 2 months and weighs 30 lbs. He is currently in the Britax Roundabout but I am looking for a booster for my husband to take him to preschool in his car in the fall, plus baby #2 will be born next month and will need the Roundabout in a few months.

I have seen the Graco TurboBooster mentioned but it doesn't have a 5 point harness. I have also seen the Evenflo Chase mentioned but I don't know anything about this one. As for budget, I don't mind spending the money on a good carseat that will work for us.

The Evenflo Chase is a very nice seat, and so is the Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo (not the Treasured, it has not front harness adjuster). Either of those seats usually are easy to find in stores, fit well in most cars, and fit a child that size very well. You are right to want to keep him harnessed longer, as littler kiddos simply are not as safe in booster seats (though when he's 40 pounds in a year or 2, the Turbo is a fine seat, for sure!).
    You could also go higher budget with the Britax Marathon/Wizard or Husky, if you want to keep him harnessed till age 6 or 7 (MA/WZ) or 8 or 9 (Husky). My almost 7 yo loves his Husky, and my almost 5 yo is thrilled with her Marathon (I'm just particularly nervous, though, and harnessing is a bit safer than boostering...though don't get me wrong, I don't think boosters are UNsafe...my kids even ride in simple no-back models on short trips with friends or dad).

Anyway, long story short, look at the Cargos or the Chase, and go with the one you prefer (they have slightly different harness adjusting mechanisms, it's best if you can try before you buy, like at Walmart or Target or Babies R Us)...unless you fall in love with one of the bigger Britaxes (it has been known to happen ;) )

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

PS, I didn't even mention the coscos or eddie bauers, since you have a thin child, and the harness slots are low on those seats, no way would they take him to 40 pounds. If he were much heavier for his weight, they would be ok, but he's skinny, so you want to go with the much higher top slots on the Graco or Evenflo.

erikadawn Guest

Thanks for all of the help Julie. I guess I need to get to the stores and try these seats out.