Thread: 2 Marathons?

2manyquestions Guest

Default 2 Marathons?

Hi, my almost 2 1/2 year old son is still very comfy in his Britax Marathon so I don't see any need to move him to something else. I also have a 4-month old who is very big for her age and probably won't last more than another month in her Graco Snugride, so I need to get a second seat for her. I would like to keep my son in his Marathon, rather than move him into a Booster or something else to allow the baby to take over his Marathon. At least that's my thinking now, unless someone here talks me out of it!

I have been really happy w/ my Marathon and have no problems with getting a second one for the baby. However, I wonder if maybe I should just get an RA? I realize the Marathon fits on airplanes, but as my husband is in the military, I sometimes have to travel alone (I know, imagine the horror) with both kids and wonder if the smaller RA might be nicer in that regard? Or is the size difference not enough to worry about? Cars are Chevy Tahoe and Volvo Cross Country, so don't need to worry about backseat issues associated with two Marathons... (side note: I wonder, when cars say they can accommodate 3 carseats in the backseat, will 3 Marathons work? Just in case I have a third, you never know!)...

I'm ready to order my Marathon #2, but just wanted to throw this out there in case there's an issue with dealing with 2 of them that I'm not thinking about. Thanks!

Default RE: 2 Marathons?

I read a post from a mom not long ago, who had an MA and an RA (roundabout) and she said that the MA was hands down easier to travel with (she took one of each on the same trip)...mostly in terms of installing quicker and easier, I think.
    If you get a samsonite micro mover, the MA fits great on it, then you could pop the other one upside down on top of it and run through the airport.
    Since you can use the Marathon a full six years till it's outgrown or expired, I don't think there's anything wrong with having one for each kid :) (if you do enough travelling that you want "travel seats" or need seats for a second car anyway, then a nice light combo booster would work for your 2yo...evenflo and graco make the best ones, and a cosco regal ride or touriva for the baby is ultra light and $40).

Hope that helps, and you might have to wait a minute till MA's are back in stock...have you gotten a recall notice on your first one? www.britaxusa.com has a number you can call to get your recall kit.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lizanov15 Guest

Default RE: 2 Marathons?

DD (22mo old) is in a Marathon currently and we're expecting #2 in December. We will be buying a 2nd Marathon or the Wizard (haven't decided which one yet). Our reasoning is that the Marathon/Wizard will last so much longer than an RA will (heigth and weight limit), and we won't have to worry about buying another seat for a longer period.

We traveled with our MA and it was pretty easy. Just be sure to get a micro mover or similar luggage travel thingie.

- Liza